Long term effects of porch gutter emptying next to house walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently posted on the 'Roofing and guttering' board for help with the guttering on my front porch. In short since the porch was built 30 years ago, the gutter downpipe on it has just emptied onto the garden rather than into a drain. This is a distance of approx 75cm away from the front outer wall of my house.

When we bought the house the surveyor didn't notice the fact there was no drain. It being my first house I was almost totally clueless, so didn't think to check for the existence of drains.

I know the amount of water running off a porch is small compared to the amount running off the actual roof, but I've measured the amount of rain running out of the downpipe during bad weather and it's a scary figure... during bad storms about 1000 litres a day have been running into the ground.

My query is.. who would be able to tell me whether there is / what the level of damage is to the house walls?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rather than spend effort working out the impact, why not dig a small soak away if you have the space.

Rather than spend effort working out the impact, why not dig a small soak away if you have the space.
Sorry I should have said... I'm already in the middle of changing the guttering so this no longer happens.

Sponsored Links
Any damage would probably be fairly noticeable, cracks in walls, frost damage to facing of brickwork, green mossy/algae build up on brickwork (hopefully below the DPC), black mould or damp patches internally.

Soil is naturally damp, whilst the additional water wont have done things any favours, depending on ground type, it may have fairly quickly percolated into the subsoil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back