Loo not flushing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Loo is not flushing! The syphon is working as the bowl fills. This water will only go to the waste pipe if the Air Admittance Value is "pushed" and air is allowed to flow.

I replaced the Air Admittance Value with a new one, exact fault still exists.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
All pipes look clear. Water will only flow when I let air in at the Air Admittance Value, then it all works OK.

Does water rise in the pan when flushed?

Sponsored Links
You have a blockage. The Air Admittance Valves are doing what it says on the tin, letting air in, but wont let any out, unless you manually open it.

What is happening, the outlet pipework from the WC is blocked, so as the discharge cannot displace the air in the pipe trapped between the blockage and the WC, so the water just sits there. When you manually open the AAV, this trapped air is released, allowing the WC to empty.

Last edited:
Manhole checked looks clear. Downpipe also clear.
I have now used a (plastic) rodding tool and the flush is clearing OK, but not as fast as it use too.
WC now usable.
Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back