Toilet Flush doesn't always clear

That`s a reasonable call - out charge :idea: Drops to £40 when the syphon is paid for . I`d have fitted a drop valve which costs more - Infact i did just that and a new float valve for a family member recently and the bits cost £20+ :rolleyes: . IT`s a viscious circle - there is no money in jobbing Plumbing - it`s all with the boiler fixers . And there is less old school plumbers about - in 10 years we won`t even be here bothering to reply to DIY`ers for free :LOL: ... Get a new Bog in - £ 60 in a box to carry home from a DIY shed :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes I have managed to convince my landlord/lady to get a new loo (they are doing the basin as well.YIPPEE!LOL)They are doing it end of July, so fingers crossed this will be the end of my loo headaches.Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like you need a new ball-valve in the cistern or a new washer in the old ball-valve, not a syphon.

Does the cistern fill up really slowly and is the water level in the cistern low?

Tony

Hi Tony
The cistern takes about 4 minutes (I timed it the other day) to fully fill up so I don't know if that's slow . The water level is normal in my opinion) as you can see from the photos.Surely a new unit resolve problems I am having?

Sponsored Links
Just my pennorth.....
4 minutes seems like a long time for the cistern to fill....no matter, the water level needs to be up to the water mark which should be visible on the cistern inside. Don't try to flush too early.
The syphon may have a couple of plastic bungs down on the side - these vary the amount of water used for a flush. If you are having bother, make sure they are all in place.
If you need to crank the flush handle a couple of times for some action, the plastic diaphragm could be split or creased in the bottom of the syphon - presumably the plumber fitted a new unit, and not a s/h one he had lying around?
Once the loo is flushed, the water level in the cistern should be low - down to the bottom of the syphon tank, in fact.
John :)

Hi Tony
The cistern takes about 4 minutes (I timed it the other day) to fully fill up so I don't know if that's slow . The water level is normal in my opinion) as you can see from the photos.Surely a new unit resolve problems I am having?

As the guy above said four minutes is a long time to fill a cistern so, no, changing the toilet might not solve your problems plus the other points he raised are perfectly valid with regard to the settings on the syphon.

I'd be looking at what's causing the cistern to fill up so slowly before I did anything which could be anything to a stuck washer in the ball-valve, a blockage in the supply pipe-work to the cistern or generally just a poor cold feed from a cold water storage cistern.

Usually I find if the cistern is tank fed then converting the cold feed at the tank to mains water supply is the easiest way to improve a slow filling cistern. I'd say that filling a WC cistern from a cold water storage tank with about 8ft of head of pressure would normally take about two minutes max, from experience.

Filling from the mains would be about 30 secs or so depending on pressure and so on and so forth.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back