Toilet paper won’t flush away ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of months ago, the Housing Association decided the Toilet Syphon needed to be replaced, apparently due to its age, although the toilet was flushing and operating without issues and had done for years.

The syphon was replaced with a water saving variant; although since, the toilet has to be flushed three or more times in an attempt to clear the toilet paper, although waste will clear during the first flush.
The toilet paper forms into an air bubble and will only clear if prodded and the air bubble released or when a bucket of water is poured down the pan.

The Housing Association Plumbers have been out on numerous occasions, made various adjustments, claimed to have replaced the syphon twice but the problem still remains.

The cistern is operated by a lever not a push button.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
not a plumber , but i wonder if the 9L flush has been changed to a 6L or even lower setting.
I had 3 settings on a recent syphon

9L ,6L and i think 4.5L
and the default setting was at 4.5L

I think the regulations are if its 9L and replacing like for like, then 9L can be used - not certain on that
Or the new syphon is 6L only and so your not getting the same water.

maybe the water level in the cistern is lower , so again not so much water

I know i had this issue with a replacement and it was the setting , and water level

BUT I'm not a plumbing , just picking up on your comment
The syphon was replaced with a water saving variant;

Is the level on the pan now lower or higher ?
should not have changed , as thats a function of the output level

Sponsored Links
Pictures, please, of the whole toilet and of the syphon itself. Any identifiers on the top of the syphon?

Sorry to butt in, but we have the same problem!
I'm going to have a look for a water-saving device and/or the flush setting.

It occurs to me that after we entered the EU they imposed limitations on toilet flush settings in a vain attempt to reduce water use. I suppose that it never occurred to them that in order to achieve what is necessary we consequently have to flush two or even three times!

The first time I recall seeing a Hippo (bag of air in a cistern) water saving device was in the 80`s after a water drought and the old 9L cisterns whilst good did waste a lot of water every flush.

Other things to check for are slack between the plastic arm on the spindle and the flush valve rising and a worn diaphram on old valves and with some newer duel flush valves you have to hold the handle down for a second or so longer to release a full flush of water.

Nobody will like this idea; try putting the toilet paper in a wee flip top bin at the side of the toilet like they do in most other countries.
When the waste water reaches the treatment works, the first thing to be screened out is that kind of stuff.

Nobody will like this idea; try putting the toilet paper in a wee flip top bin at the side of the toilet like they do in most other countries.
When the waste water reaches the treatment works, the first thing to be screened out is that kind of stuff.

'Proper' toilet tissue will dissolve in the water during its passage to the Treatment works, and so helps constitute sludge, which is processed and returned to the land. It is only material that doesn't break down, i.e. Wipes, Tampons, (and the plastic applicators....), etc that is screened out.

I remember my Dad putting a house brick in out cistern in the 70's to save water, but these were the Low Level type and didn't present an issue. If the pan isn't clearing, it's down to the power of the flush. Need to see what the setup is really before advising further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back