Toilet flushes on 3rd attempt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a problem with my toilet and was hoping somebody could help. My toilet was not flushing at all so I had a look at the syphon and the diaphragm film appeared to be damaged so I replaced the entire syphon unit. Now after the replacement, the toilet does flush but requires you to quickly pull the lever 3-4 times before it flushes. Im not sure if the syphon is the issue as it was replaced when it was not flushing at all before. Im now starting to think this is to do with the water level being too low, though it fills up past the fill line. Anyone know what the issue here could be?

Sponsored Links
Can you show pics of inside cistern ,
It's either the syphon or too low water level.
When was the complete new one fitted ?

The syphon was changed yesterday. As I mentioned, prior to changing this, the toilet would not flush at all as the original valve was damaged.

I will upload a photo when I get the chance. This is the new syphon:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta...VAbDtCh1OWAllEAQYAyABEgJd8PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The only other thing in the toilet is a float style fill valve that has a ball at the end. The fill line takes the water above the part of the syphon where the metal hook clip is attached but below the tallest part of the syphon unit. There is capacity to raise the water level to close to the top of the syphon (where the blue cap is from the one shown in the link above). It may go even higher but not sure if there would be room for the ball to float once the lid goes back on.

Maybe the wrong syphon fitted, designed for a higher water level? Is there a water level marked on the syphon?

Sponsored Links
The syphon matched up fine on all dimensions other than the height where it was maybe an inch taller but I was told this wont be a problem by the DIY store. There isn’t a water level marked on the syphon.

Adjust the float to raise the water level to just below the overflow level. It's unlikely that the new Syphon is faulty ,but possible I suppose .

The syphon matched up fine on all dimensions other than the height where it was maybe an inch taller but I was told this wont be a problem by the DIY store. There isn’t a water level marked on the syphon.

They would likely say that, to get a sale. Usually the instruction leaflet with the valve will suggest what water level it is designed to work with. Could you maybe push the ball down, to get more water in, to see if it then flushes properly?

The new flush valve has the built in overflow so press the ball down until you see water trickling into the pan then release it.
Now wait until no water trickles into the pan.
Now flush the toilet - Does it behave as expected?

I topped up the water manually by just pouring a few cups of water from the sink nearby. This seems to work as it flushes first time. The problem with adjusting the float valve to the working water level is that the ball goes over the top of the cistern so when I put the lid back on, the ball gets lowered so it won’t fill to the desired level. Does this mean I need to change the syphon for something more appropriate or get a compact fill valve that won’t stick out at the top?

Does this mean I need to change the syphon for something more appropriate or get a compact fill valve that won’t stick out at the top?

Yes, or yes.

If it's a long arm with a large ball on the end, you can get much more compact fill valves - which sit in the corner, close to to the valve and don't need any headroom.

That link is a style I had in mind. The extra cups of water you mentioned earlier - does that take the level above the 'max' line in the cistern?

Yes it does. What wont help me is that my inlet is on the same side as the handle so that type of float valve probaby wont fit as it will hit the syphon

Yes it does. What wont help me is that my inlet is on the same side as the handle so that type of float valve probaby wont fit as it will hit the syphon

Then your only choice is to swap it for the correct syphon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back