Toilet Flush doesn't always clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a rented flat in Feb and ever since the toilet flush has not worked properly. It works ok-ish if I pull hard, but last week it would intermittently flush then not flush(bowl would be full with water).

Sometimes it clears all the stuff in the loo but other times the water pressure would be so that only a little water came out, but not enough pressure to clear the loo.

The loo got blocked and my landlord called out a plumber who didn't seem to know much but he replaced the syphon. The problem continues intermittenly.

He has been over today and did a runner claiming there's nothing wrong, because when he tried the loo flushed okay but when the landlady and I tried early it wouldn't flush fully.

Can anyone diagnose the problem?
Someone advised us to get a Turbo Syphon .

Also is there anyway that my landlady can get her money back from the dodgy plumber who didn't fix the problem but took her money and did a runner?
He did not give a receipt to the landlord when he was here.

Please help, I am clueless about plumbing and so are my very sweet, elderly landlady and landlord.

Sponsored Links
plumber didn't seem to know much .
That`s because he was a GAS FITTER :LOL: Bowl full of water- not clearing -Could be a syphonic pan - But without @ least a picture to give me a clue to the type of WC - even my C+G plumbing can`t help ;) . I leave the gas to the Gas Safe guys

Thanks for your reply. I can take a photo of the loo, but how do I get you to see it? Is the syphonic pan the same as what the supposed plumber called a syphon?

It could have been an old toilet (9 litre) with a broken diaphram washer. Plumber comes along and fits new syphon that it set to 6 litres, so you still have the same problem but from different causes.

Pictures please :LOL:

Sponsored Links
2 types of wc washdown which is self expanotary in the way it work's the other type is the syphonic type do not think they are available now ?? but they syphon (suck?) the waste out when u flush the wc they are double trapped ?? both type's will use a flushing syphon in the cistern .

It could have been an old toilet (9 litre) with a broken diaphram washer. Plumber comes along and fits new syphon that it set to 6 litres, so you still have the same problem but from different causes.

That is probably the answer

Please help, I am clueless about plumbing and so are my very sweet, elderly landlady and landlord.

So was their "plumber" :cry: :LOL:

Need a pic side on of the pan to determine if it is a syphonic action pan.

Pete

Fluffster
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you want: I have posted 2 photos that are very clear: what specifically do you need to see that is not shown in the 2 photos that will allow you to know what the problem is?

The syphonic type have a sucking action which lowers the water level in the pan at some stage. The double-trap syphonics have a device called an 'air extractor' inside the syphon, and it needs to be fitted to the pan so that it is airtight.

You are unlikely to find one of these less than about 40 years old - they were fashionable in the '50s.

This must surely be your landlord's responsibility? You or they need to find a competent experienced plumber.

The cistern looks like it`s got the original " gubbins" still in it ;) HOW did a " Plumber" get that apart and renew necessary parts without disturbing/ removing those Bloody awful blue cistern blocks - :idea: I reckon he did sweet FA apart from setting the water level a bit higher ;) - One for Matt Allwright and his motor cycle

Hello Fluffster
I am guessing here( as all this techical stuff is not something that interests me much),that it's the syphonic action.For someone who knows nothing about plumbing it's hard to tell one way or another.
At the moment if I go to the loo I might get a short or long flush(with a full water bowl) , but then have to wait for the bowl to fill with water to be able to flush again.The short flush is a bit of water that is released and clears little or nothing away, the long one seems to go on for longer than what I remember and it flushes every thing away. The odd thing is that when the plumber returned yesterday and tested the flush he got several long flushes in a row (sods law!) and said he had nothing to fix as it was working fine.(he did a runner after that!LOL).He doesn't seem to understand that the problem is intermittent, besides when he came the flush was doing long ones and he had no qualms about replacing the syphon then despite the fact that then he got no short flushes that I mentioned.
Am I supposed to take a course on how to flush this "Royal" Loo that seems to have a mind of it's own??!! I have used loos all my life and never had to work so hard to get all the doodallies down the loo!Any thoughts?!

Nigel F
Actually funny you should mention that! He removed the cistern block and made such a mess, I had to throw 2 cloths away that he asked for to wipe his hands. I used the blocks because the toilet looks disgusting if the water is clear, at least if it's coloured you can't see the yellow and brown stains that was there when I moved in (the landlady had already used a block to disguise how old the loo unit is). I am currently trying to hypnotise the landlady into installing a new loo, life too short to be fiddling around with volatile loos!I have no idea what the plumber did except put in a new cheap syphon and made £50 in 25 minutes. I should train as a plumber if one can make £50 for 25 minutes from clueless people who don't know any better. What a marvellous way to rip-off Joe Bloggs!Just a shame I was born with a conscience!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back