Toilet doesn't flush properly - but intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs loo doesn't always flush away solids, or sometimes it appears to, then solid floats back into view, or water discolours, but I only see this a few hours later when I return.

A plumber came round and said it wasn't the flush it was a blocked pipe so get Dynorod. I got Dynorod who threw bucket of water down and it flushed through ok, so he said it was the loo itself. When he looked further he saw that screws in the loo had damaged the porcelain so it couldn't be repaired, would have to be replaced completely. He gave me a book of loos to choose from but I couldn't get my mind round it so I've just left it. Occasionally throw extra bucket of water down when it needs it.

Very occasionally the upstairs loo acts similarly.

Seems to me it's the strength of the flush but then why do solids disappear then float back again? I thought they disappeared round a bend?

Sponsored Links
Has it always been that way? If so your dynorod chap was probably right. Newer toilets can be a nightmare in design, especially the cheaper ones and the lowering of flush volumes, to save water, only exacerbates the problem.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep about the mechanics of a toilet's poo retention process due to inadequate flush volumes/velocity.

Thanks Rob, it's just embarrassing when guests visit, or when I try to clean what appears fairly clear basin and it's suddenly mud! I suspect it's a 1970's loo which is when previous owners refurb'd. Maybe I should remove the bottle thing I was told to put in both cisterns!

The bottle thing will reduce the volume of water therefore how much water it flushes. It does save water, especially if on a meter but that's no good if you don't have enough water to flush clear.

Sponsored Links
Don't you need a dual flush? Small flush for number 1's and a big flush for number 2's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back