Look at all these beds wasted on - 1 in 10 in fact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One in 10 people in a hospital bed are alcohol-dependent and one in five are harming themselves by drinking

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/04/staggering-cost-nhs-alcohol-abuse-report

One in 10 people in a hospital bed in the UK are alcohol-dependent and one in five are doing themselves harm by their drinking, according to research that quantifies for the first time the massive burden to the NHS of Britain’s drinking culture.

Experts say alcohol services in the NHS and the community have been cut, leaving a health service fighting to cope.

Sponsored Links
If those that harm themselves by means other than alcohol abuse were also taken into consideration, then the figure would undoubtedly be much higher.

Liver disease is not a nice way to go.

Cirrhosis is non reversable.

There is big rise in functioning alcoholics - which I guess could end up in hospital.

I had to work out the number of units consumed per week for a medical form yesterday - its 7 units per week, so thankfully not in the at risk group.......

I had to work out the number of units consumed per week for a medical form yesterday - its 7 units per week, so thankfully not in the at risk group.......
What would you have entered on the form had it been 30 units a week, or 50?

Sponsored Links
What would you have entered on the form had it been 30 units a week, or 50?

7 of course (y)

On a serious note, do heavy drinkers put down an honest number? I imagine there is often some denial.

I used to have a carpenter work for me, he drank 4 pints after work every day, (then drive home :eek:), then some nights drink a bottle of wine. He has done it for years.

Im just grateful its not something Im addicted to, it ruins lives. I see a guy when Im out walking the dog, he wonders around the nearby streets with a can in his hand, the poor chap always looks really miserable.

I drink much less than I used to, mostly due to the fact I cannot get up anymore if I drink, so only drink Friday and Saturday night. Without meaning to, I've been drinking less in the last few months - I only noticed the last few times I took the green box for bottle recycling out. It used to be full each fortnight, now only has a few bottles of wine in the there!

One in 10 people in a hospital bed are alcohol-dependent and one in five are harming themselves by drinking

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/04/staggering-cost-nhs-alcohol-abuse-report

One in 10 people in a hospital bed in the UK are alcohol-dependent and one in five are doing themselves harm by their drinking, according to research that quantifies for the first time the massive burden to the NHS of Britain’s drinking culture.

Experts say alcohol services in the NHS and the community have been cut, leaving a health service fighting to cope.

Interesting i posted something similar about fat people. It comes back to the fact we need to be tougher on society at times, and i dont mean look for an excuse to tax people which i utterly deplore. But i believe people with alcohol issues should be aware they contribute more to NHS. Although once they're so bad they are jobless then they're a lost cause.

Can't blame fat people much of the time. If the government properly regulated how the food and drinks industry carried out its marketing and advertising then there would be much less obesity.
The problem is that fast food and junk food can be advertised everywhere - we now know it is as bad as smoking and alcohol, but every fast food restaurant can advertise with neon lights. giant pictures etc. right on the high street where people see it (unlike tobacco and alcohol). We've made great progress at reducing smoking and drinking, thanks to regulation, but nothing is being doing about food.

I have seen one Cancer Research poster on a bus stop warning people about obesity. Obesity is overtaking smoking and drinking as a leading cause of cancer.

But people are very prone to marketing and environmental factors - as easy as it is to blame fatties, the solution is intervention and regulation of the food industry. That ain't going to happen for a while. Boris has already said he wants to reverse the sugar tax laws!

And for those that keep saying it's peoples own faults - if that was the case, the food industry would not spend millions (about £143 million a few years ago) on advertising if it didn't work.

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Artic...dwarfs-government-anti-obesity-campaign-spend

Obesity?

Lets start with plumbers then. They must be the most obese of the trades.

Electricians tend to be thinner and wiry. :LOL:

Not come across a portly carpet fitter.

But people are very prone to marketing and environmental factors - as easy as it is to blame fatties, the solution is intervention and regulation of the food industry.
Spot on.

The results of finally taking on the tobacco industry (in the west at least) shows that benefits can be gained.

Job stress and work schedules lead to unhealthy snacking and comfort eating.
Or could it be that they were already heading down that path, either because of genes or growing up with unhealthy food?

Neither is self inflicted, but that could be said of many obese people.

And given the huge numbers of poor or struggling people, cheap food is very often the worst food - a catch 22 situation!

Sponsored Links
Back