Looking at changing downpipe and hopper to cast iron style

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if the cast iron style guttering is worth the extra money? I'm looking at updating it on my Victorian house. If it is worth it where is the best place to buy it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on location . Kind of pointless on a Victorian terrace if both neighbour's have plastic windows, gutters, and stone cladding.

I think you can get Victorian in plastic/ GRP/ aluminium and cast iron.

I don't think it would be the first thing on my mind, unless there was scaff going up or the whole lot needed replacing

it will outlast any other. ok you need to decorate now and again , plastic will fade .
cast alloy is not bad either and a tad easier to fit
plenty of places online to buy it. we usually get Hargreaves make

Sponsored Links
Standard guttering doesn't look right on an old property . In fact I would go so far as saying it can de-value a property.

Yes go for cast iron lookalike but there are lots of versions out there that are awful. You’ll need to go for Brett Martin cascade. They invented it. Not sure where you are but www.theplasticsdepot.co.uk in Birmingham by us can order it in for you.
I’ve had cascade on my house for 8 years and it looks superb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back