Looking for a knob!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I recently bought a collapsable bench from a guy and with it cam an "as new" Guild sliding mitre saw but the locking knob on the table is missing. Anyone know where I can find one from please? I don't need it as I already have a decent mitre saw. When I find a knob I'll sell it on. Thanks. S

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rodders. I'll give that a go. I'll also have a look at what the thred is. I may have a go at making one up if I can't get one.

Have seen diy knobs made , suitable size bolt place head down into bottle cap and then flooded with hot melt glue to secure or two part glue or resin .

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the seller to sort it out?

At minimum, charge him for any costs that you incur.

I'm gonna guess the OP bought a bench and saw S/H off Marketplace and only really wanted the bench, hence selling the saw on.

Maybe. :p

Last edited:
I've had Thumb Screws

Not instruments of torture but you can undo them by hand.

The thread is most likely metric and easy to match
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).pngs-l1600 (31).jpg
And plastic knobs like you use on a gear lever or drill press

All from fleabay or tool merchants

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the replies. I've had a trawl on fleabay and actually (finaly) found a lock knob with a 10mm thread and 35mm long. I'll have a look in the morning to see if it will fit before I buy one. You are correct Freddy. I will sell it on as I do have a much better saw than this guild saw.
The bench was what I was after and just couldn't miss the pair for £50.

For reference a great source of all sorts of knobs, ball handles, straight handles, levers and hand wheels is a firm I've dealt with many times, Cotel Mouldings (J G Coates) in Burnley. Don't know what their mail order service is like, but over the counter (as they aren't too far away from me) they are very helpful with an excellent product range. Unlike many firms Cotel are an actual manufacturer making products at their Burnley site

Last edited by a moderator:
All the table locking knobs are M10 but this one requires a M11. I've found a suitable bolt. Just going to fashon a knob to make it work.

That's odd. Sure it isn't just a poorly made M12? Metric sizes generally go up in 2mm increments above M6 to about M30 (don't know much about stuff bigger than that), so M5 - M6 -M8 - M10 - M12 - M14... and so on. M12 ball knob with a bit of epoxy resin would work, as should Milliput

Well I've measured it at 11.8 mm which is probably a Chineese 12mm! Think I may have a spare angle grinder handle that has a 12mm thread on it but it will need to be extended to make it work I think.

Well I've measured it at 11.8 mm which is probably a Chineese 12mm! Think I may have a spare angle grinder handle that has a 12mm thread on it but it will need to be extended to make it work I think.

I am confused. You don't have the knob, how did you determine that it is 11.8mm, did you measure the internal of the whole? If so that might explain the 11.8mm (because of the thread).

Are you talking about the nut that is used to lock the swiveling base?

It looks like it is about 50mm long

There will be cheaper suppliers of 12mm thumb turn bolts.

The above will be about £6 which is almost 10% of the cost of the machine when new though. Argos are selling it new for £63

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It is indeed the bolt handle/knob that locks the table for a random angle cut. The thread was easy to identify using a bolt that screws into the thread in the table, then measuring it. It only requires about 35mm of thread to lock the table in this partucular model saw, plus the handle.
Personally, £6 isn't the end of the world to get it to a complete item so I can move it on as I don't need it. I'll get there eventually.

It is indeed the bolt handle/knob that locks the table for a random angle cut. The thread was easy to identify using a bolt that screws into the thread in the table, then measuring it. It only requires about 35mm of thread to lock the table in this partucular model saw, plus the handle.
Personally, £6 isn't the end of the world to get it to a complete item so I can move it on as I don't need it. I'll get there eventually.

Kool.

I had been wondering if you had a tool that I am unaware of that had the ability to measure tiny holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back