looking for a non connected "stupid tv"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am trying to find a perhaps 42" but exact size tv is unimportant as i listen and veiw as a background source off content
i dont need internet as its just a monitor to my freeview recorder boxes with no Internet connection through choice in a different room
now my present over 10 year old 42" consumes 44w in use so looking at perhaps 1/3 less actual consumption as the 24" tv i bought at xmass was about 18w consumption
any way the problem i am finding is looking at both argos an curries they dont give actual hourly consumption but either sound output or annual consumption which has zero value as no hourly value ??
thanks for your help(y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
surely the standard for yearly rate gives an amount of hours its based on

am trying to find a perhaps 42" but exact size tv is unimportant as i listen and veiw as a background source off content
i dont need internet as its just a monitor to my freeview recorder boxes with no Internet connection through choice in a different room
now my present over 10 year old 42" consumes 44w in use so looking at perhaps 1/3 less actual consumption as the 24" tv i bought at xmass was about 18w consumption
any way the problem i am finding is looking at both argos an curries they dont give actual hourly consumption but either sound output or annual consumption which has zero value as no hourly value ??
thanks for your help(y)
All I do is look in the specs for the wattage and then do the maths.
There is a site, https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php?tariff=24 which works out running costs but some of their assumptions seem unrealistic.

The TV consumption numbers published are rubbish and unreliable.

Lower resolution means lower power.

Sponsored Links
chances are that a 'stupid" TV is likely to cost more than "smart" one.
a non smart is likely to be a commercial grade or industrial display and be more expensive.

I'm going to be slightly contentious. Whilst none of us want to throw money away needlessly, unless someone's needing to watch the pennies, why does it matter (power consumption of domestic products that is) when the savings between product A and B are likely to be negligible if the products are comparable in terms of size and spec?

For example there'll be an article saying don't leave products on stand-by as you're wasting money, switch them off. Ok, it's better in your pocket than theirs, however the savings are rarely dramatic.

I get there's the environmental aspect as well, but still.

its just i dont need to replace but now is the time to look but iff the savings are small there are better ways to save the planet
i have been on 5.2-5.5 units a day for perhaps 10 years winter and summer changed the 22" tv in the shed[sound was going] for a modern 24" and changed my fridge freezer as it broke down and consumption now around the 4 units mark but as its only half a years figures wont take as set in stone yet

looking at a few specs
44W I would say isnt that bad
looking at a couple of specs on John lewis site - difference in high dynamic display v standard 88W v 54W another 92w v 51W most seem to be around that - for 42ish TV
A 24" is around the 21W mark

If you see a model you like - rather than the Argos curries sites , which are often wrong , as i found to my cost once - use the model number on the manufactures website

you dont have to connect to the internet, just leave unconnected, thats how my main TV is setup (says 130W on the power label). I use HDMI connected devices , PVR and an AppleTV box - both are connected to the internet , Apple mainly used for catch-up and netflix/prime etc
PVR also connected , and used to go back in guide a week and catch-up

I usually convert to a price -

if you multiply the power in watts by the number of hours you expect the unit to be on and then divide by 1,000

44W * 1 hour / 1000 = KWh * cost per unit
how much to run if on for 1 hour

0.044 * 26p (if thats the rate now) = just over 1p and hour (1,144Pence)
change the wattage and the ratio will be the same

But as all ready mentioned - this will be just an average , and will vary depending on a number of factors

Last edited:
thanks etaf as my present tv uses 44w actual measured by a energenie plug in monitor unless the savings are at least 25% or 11w an hour on say an average 10 hrs a day so around 110 a day or 770 a week or 25p a week at octobers 40p a unit its going to take 15 years to get back the cost at £20 a year
i am not actually so worried about cost and return its the value to the planet and the level off stability reduced use gives

chances are that a 'stupid" TV is likely to cost more than "smart" one.
a non smart is likely to be a commercial grade or industrial display and be more expensive.
yes i agree but made my actual use known as at xmas some on argos where £10-15 cheaper for same size same make but will less symbols so i assumed less smart so probably gon for ever now as old hat for dinosaurs like me :D

also consider the cost of going to landfill, and the cost of manufacturing , travel , etc etc on the whole process when you buy a replacement,

I saw a documentary on electric cars and the cost of manufacture on the environment, cost to maintain and disposal of car at end of life - cannot remember the detail but it was not that great when you look at total life cycle ground to ground , of you like

also consider the cost of going to landfill, and the cost of manufacturing , travel , etc etc on the whole process when you buy a replacement,

I saw a documentary on electric cars and the cost of manufacture on the environment, cost to maintain and disposal of car at end of life - cannot remember the detail but it was not that great when you look at total life cycle ground to ground , of you like
yes that is a consideration as a functioning tv i can give free to a good home to someone i know in the same way over the years old ryobi one plus and dewalt 18v tools have found there way to uhm members down on there luck foc or can make better use off rather than in a dusty cupboard unused -- ask fin :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
There was a study around the time of the 90's campaign to buy more fuel efficient vehicles and scrap older ones.
The point was made that a Morris Minor used 85% (?) of all the energy in it's life in manufacture. Not in fuel consumption.

Now few people would choose a Minor as a long distance vehicle, but the steel was thick and repairable. Panels could be bolted on.
in theory, the car could survive three generations of a thinner modern car.

Sponsored Links
Back