looking for a non connected "stupid tv"

a sort off update for those who micromanage energy use in this case on tvs

i used the old tv from the shed that used 47w in the lean too sitting area i used a chromecast on a 10ft /3m hdmi lead to give it a connection via direct line off sight using 2.8w so 50w for a 22" now decided way too high energy wise
so now found currys do a 24" for £120 free delivery but its bells and whistles that i dont need
now the blurb stated 22w so pleasantly surprised as not connecting or opening any features just aeriel tuning comes in at 18w and with cromecast dongle powered and connected to the tv only 20w a 60% saving
buuuuttt heres the amazing part it has several apps or features inbuilt by force stopping and or turning off plus removing all permissions or connections it goes down to between 13.5 to 15 w call it 14.5 so a 70% reduction
now all these figures are pointless but at power costing around 31p per kw and 35w saved every hour thats 1p her hour saved now not a kings ransom but equals a free tv after around 4 years at 10 hrs a day

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a further update off limited value
if you wish to listen to the tv a short distance away as sound only source or as a radio channel without the graphics, it drops to 8.5w by clicking "picture off"
now at this stage the screen off course goes blank but by doing nothing further pressing ok even after a long time will turn it on again

Save even more by not buying said tv or, by not turning it on! Lol

Save even more by not buying said tv or, by not turning it on! Lol
yes i fully agree its about working out what exactly you want and what you can do
think off it as buying a car and tuning it for your needs it cost very little to tinker and a trade off between quality off experience against running costs
:giggle:

Sponsored Links
Perhaps separate your screen and sound system if you're looking for a dumb screen(computer monitor) and the ability to use the TV as a radio

Back