Looking for a tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have quite a lot of bags down two floors. I am fortunate in that the place is in such a state, I can lift floorboards up (will be coming up anyway) and remove the ceiling of below (again coming down anyway) and lower these bags through the floors to the bottom.

It is unfortunate that most of this will be done solo so was wondering whether there is some kind of grip tool which grips whilst there is tension on the end of the rope and will release at the bottom when the bag is on the floor and there is no tension.
Otherwise I see myself lowering the bag down then going down just to undo the rope and I had might as well carry them down with me!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you put a ring onto the bags and double the rope through the ring so when it's down you let go of 1 end to release it?

A brick lifter would do it. Stick a couple of blocks in the jaws to close the gap. And the bonus is you've then got a brick lifter.

Sponsored Links
What exactly are you trying to do?
Lower bags down?

A jockey wheel and two buckets/ bins looped through the wheel so one bin is upstairs and the other down means that if you figure out a brake, you can load the upstairs bin, drop it through the ceiling and it will pull the downstairs bin up. You NEED a brake or you might as well chuck the bags down.

If you rig the bin so the pivot of the handle is at midpoint, a second smaller rope/cord can pull the bottom of the loaded bin to empty or at least tip the lower loaded bin from upstairs.

Or hire a skip tube and chuck it out of a window

What might work is a ladder at 45° between the joists, with a strip of hardboard cable tied on.
It would act as a slide and be quick with the potential for some mess but not a lot

A rectangular sheet of tarpaulin with one end of a long rope tied to one end and the other end of the rope tied to the other end of the sheet.
So you can lay it down, put the bag in it, fold it up and hold using both bits of rope - lower it then release one bit of rope and pull the other up.
The bag will drop out and your ready to go again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back