Looking for acorns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

First time in this 'chapter' of the forum, so not sure if it's appropriate, but 'be nice' ...;)

We're looking for acorns for a gift to our existing clients (and prospects) as an 'New Years' attention. Our aim is to send out little acorns, ask for them to be planted in gardens and in doing so create a kind of 'national' Wood You Like Oak forest ;)

Trouble is, in our little village I can't find any fallen acorns (too many squirrels around i think).

anyone any good suggestions?

'Woody'

Sponsored Links
I have noticed on our many dog walks that there are very few acorns this year. Those that have formed have turned into galls, because of an increase in the little wasp that causes them to form. Why not use beech nuts instead this year they are in abundance ;)

Hi Nstreet

Could be an idea too, mixed forest ;)

Will have a look around

Yes, in some years oaks simply don't produce acorns, even conkers seem scarer this year, however the sycamores seem to have done well. I noticed that the oaks round us haven't produced any acorns this year. Good luck in finding them, maybe this year just wasn't an acorn year.

You may wish to ask yourself if your clients would want an oak tree in their garden, most gardens aren't big enough.

Sponsored Links
Must be something in the UK then? A few weeks ago we were 'back home' = The Netherlands, and we saw many! (But hadn't had too much time to collect loads unfortunately). We have around 50, but are looking for around 600

According to BBC's trees program it is indeed meter, not feet.

Can't help it, trees do grow a lot in 35 years time

i think you may want to check that again on a different site such as the rhs woodyoulike, because that is not right!

i think you may want to check that again on a different site such as the rhs woodyoulike, because that is not right!

British Trees.com:
" Pedunculate Oak, Common Oak, English Oak. Irish Dair (Family - Fagaceae)

Description: Large deciduous tree and probably our commonest tree. Height 30 - 40 m. Age 1000 year or more."

I've lived near an oak forest and never seen one the height of a 12-storey building.

3-storey, yes, often.

no im not disputing the height, its the fact youve written, it will reach that height in 35 years

Ive got an oak tree you can have if you like?
Its a couple of hundred years old though (total guess) and about 6ft diameter and 60 + feet tall :?:
Would make a good PR stunt and present but carriage charges may be dear :LOL:

Ive got an oak tree you can have if you like?
Its a couple of hundred years old though (total guess) and about 6ft diameter and 60 + feet tall :?:
Would make a good PR stunt and present but carriage charges may be dear :LOL:
How about a picture? Hate to 'waste' a wonderful treasure of nature by moving it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back