Crocus Lawn & Squirrels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've recently turfed our back garden and my partner wanted a crocus lawn, as it's something he's always wanted, si I planted 2400 crocus bulbs just under the tilth and when my back recovered laid the new turf.

Anyway yesterday I looked out and saw a squirrel trying to dig through the lawn :mad:, I didn't think they'd bother as we have quite a few oak trees around in neighbouring gardens and wasteland which are dropping acorns. I have some pond netting I could put over the lawn; but don't if this will be strong enough any suggestions?

Thanks

Pat

Sponsored Links
you will be hard pressed to stop them as they are obviously gathering up food for winter. perhaps try leaving out peanuts for them to take instead as a diversion

The squirrel could be trying to hide acorns rather than dig up your bulbs.

We see them all the time, usually hiding peanuts in the lawn. ( even the magpies hide peanuts in the lawn!)

I would think this time of year they are probably hiding rather than searching! They may go for the bulbs in the spring, when their other stores have run out.

Pond netting may put them off trying to store stuff there.

Sponsored Links
where do all the bloody peanuts come from, we are forever finding them on jobs!

I'll try both ideas, netting to try and stop them storing the acorns, hopefully this will deter them in the spring when they come looking for the acorns from digging the lawn up. during the winter & spring I have several beed feeders out and I also put peanuts out for the squirrels to stop them trying to eat the bird food, it's quite fun watching them try to work out how to get past the tray under the feeder which is designed to prevent them.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back