Looking for advice on filling some holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New here, and a bit of a DIY novice !

I've just removed skirting board in a bedroom and some fair sized holes have resulted (grab adhesive is obviously pretty powerful). The first one is at the foot of a solid wall and seems a bit more serious and the second one is in the plasterboard. I did think about just putting the new skirting board over the top but I think I should really patch it up first. Any advice on what to use to fill in these holes ?

thanks

Mungo

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Hi Mungo
The easiest way to sort this is to head down to Wickes or whatever and buy a tub of ready mixed plaster and a trowel......go for the plaster that will fill deeper holes. Clear away all of the debris and dust and dampen the wall slightly before applying the plaster.
Once that has set its on with the new skirting - either using grab adhesive or other mechanical fixings if you like.
What was up with the original skirting?
John :)

Thanks for that John. Ronseal look like they do a large hole filler for walls, for up to 50mm depth, so I'll give that a whirl.

The old skirting was very basic, so I wanted to put something a bit nicer looking in.

I would get a bag of fast set and mix a bit of sand with it and and give the wall a good soak with a water sprayer and put your mix on the wall and level it off the wall with a bit of batten. jobs a good un'.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mungo
The easiest way to sort this is to head down to Wickes or whatever and buy a tub of ready mixed plaster and a trowel......go for the plaster that will fill deeper holes. Clear away all of the debris and dust and dampen the wall slightly before applying the plaster.
Once that has set its on with the new skirting - either using grab adhesive or other mechanical fixings if you like.
What was up with the original skirting?
John :)

The last time I purchased a tub of ready mixed plaster from a DIY shed (Homebase I think) it turned out to be a coarser version of the light weight fillers such as Red Devil OneTime filler.

It was fine for my purposes but it has no structural integrity.

Mind you, if Mungo goes for a taller skirting, they can pretty much ignore the holes.

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for the advice. I did use the Ronseal large hole filler in the end and it seemed to do a reasonable job. Next mission is to get a bit of skirting board to fit properly over the distinctly sloped bottom of the wall where the big hole was !

Mungo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back