Quote advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i went to have a look at a job last night ill list below what needs to be done. I gave what i thought was a fair quote, but from the reaction on the phone i think it might have been a bit high

I pretty new to doing jobs for strangers so pricing up is quite new to me, all my jobs have been for friends at "mates rates", but i think for the work thats involved it is ok.

Anyway see what you think, sorry if its a bit long winded.

The house had been rewired....

Living room - 3 floor to celing plug socket drops, 1 light switch to celing drop, 2 bits of patching
Kitchen - 1 light switch to celing drop, fill in an old plug socket
Dining room -About 5/6 patches on walls, 3 holes in ceilng
Downstairs bathroom - 2 holes in celing
Hall - 1 light switch to celing drop, 1 floor to celing plug socket drop
Landing - 1 light switch to celing drop, 1 floor to celing plug socket drop
Bathroom - 4 spotlight celing holes to fill and match up with artex
Front bedroom - 2 sockets that need patching around, hole in ceiling
Back bedroom - 1 patch on wall, 1 patching round new socket
Small bedroom - 2 new sockets that need patching around

I quoted 250 including materials as i thought where ill have to patch the celings with board im going to have to go back and rub it up so thats two days work.

What do you guys think? (no doubt youll probably laugh and say my pricing is completely wrong )

Sponsored Links
1 days work, i would use easi fill as you can patch in easier than gypsum.

£200 including materials and pita value.

i would say you were about right 200 a day is a good rate plus say 50 for your materials/tools
most plugs round here expect more than us gasmen!! :LOL: :LOL:

Hi there i went to have a look at a job last night ill list below what needs to be done. I gave what i thought was a fair quote, but from the reaction on the phone i think it might have been a bit high

I pretty new to doing jobs for strangers so pricing up is quite new to me, all my jobs have been for friends at "mates rates", but i think for the work thats involved it is ok.

Anyway see what you think, sorry if its a bit long winded.

The house had been rewired....

Living room - 3 floor to celing plug socket drops, 1 light switch to celing drop, 2 bits of patching
Kitchen - 1 light switch to celing drop, fill in an old plug socket
Dining room -About 5/6 patches on walls, 3 holes in ceilng
Downstairs bathroom - 2 holes in celing
Hall - 1 light switch to celing drop, 1 floor to celing plug socket drop
Landing - 1 light switch to celing drop, 1 floor to celing plug socket drop
Bathroom - 4 spotlight celing holes to fill and match up with artex
Front bedroom - 2 sockets that need patching around, hole in ceiling
Back bedroom - 1 patch on wall, 1 patching round new socket
Small bedroom - 2 new sockets that need patching around

I quoted 250 including materials as i thought where ill have to patch the celings with board im going to have to go back and rub it up so thats two days work.

What do you guys think? (no doubt youll probably laugh and say my pricing is completely wrong )

You will be lucky to get £150 in your area these days. £17.50 an hour is about right for the middlands but with the downturn I know blokes who are working for £120 a day in your area.

Sponsored Links
I think you've got to be careful not to get too caught up in 'day' rates- what is the job worth?

I think you've got to be careful not to get too caught up in 'day' rates- what is the job worth?

Problem is that manyare and it reflect on them that don't because they say "Well I can get it done for" etc. Swings and roundabouts. But you are correct.

Cheers for the input guys :)

I said two days work to the customer becsause thats how long i expected it would have takn me. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back