Looking for any advice on Cat5 cctv cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After getting a couple of quotes for a 5 camera installation on our house I'm looking at doing the job myself. I perhaps expected a bit too much but the installers seem to just want to mount the cameras half way up the house wall which is as I would expect but then tie wrapping the cabling to fall pipes etc and up through the soffits.
Now I realise to conceal the cabling depends perhaps on how much upset we want inside the house but I thought they might look to explore any possibilities to hide cabling.

So....I just wondered if anyone has any tips or tricks for dealing with the cable issues. I've managed to identify a route in for a couple of the cameras on one corner of the house which I think I can get into the space under the bath then through into airing cupboard. I've also thought about trying to bring a cable into one of the rooms at skirting board level then in the gap between the carpet gripper and the skirting along into the airing cupboard. On the other end of the house though I really need to get the cable from the camera position up into the loft, ideally without having to chase out internal walls etc.

Any wisdom would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
All my cameras I ran into my loft using drain pipe on front and back to hide cables. Without knowing where you intend to have the NVR/DVR I can't comment much but you sound like you are making something that should be easy harder than it should be.

I would run all to loft and have the NVR/DVR there is possible, if not run to loft and drop down into a bedroom cupboard or whatever is close to where they need to go.

Yes, I'm planning on NVR in the loft. I just thought that strapping the cable to guttering fall pipes seemed a bit heath robinson for a "professionally installed" system hence one of my justifications for doing it myself. I considered the cabling to perhaps be the most troublesome part of the job and hence why I would pay someone to do it but if that's all they are going to do I may as well save myself £500 installation costs !

It is the easiest way to hide the cable. From the outside of my house you can just notice the cameras and see no cables running unless you really look. The drain pipe runs right up to the loft (roof) so was the most logical way.

I have seen some right shoddy "professional installs" which is why I didn't pay someone to do mine and saved myself some money. I am really happy with how mine looks, if you wouldn't be then running however you want is your choice but it sounds like so much effort you are going to go through.

Sponsored Links
If you have cavity walls without insulation you could probably run the cables theough their into the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back