Looking for some advice on tiling around the bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a chap who is installing my new bathroom - everything from boarding the floor to installing the suite. I have supplied the suite and the tiles. The room is 24m2 and installation is bath, riser shower, loo, sink and towel rail. The job is costing me 2.5k. So I am expecting a top top professional job. My walls are not 'true' and rather than seeing how the bath might fit before tiling etc, he's put it in now and there are 'triangles' of space at either end. One end he's put a strip of plastic beading and the other end a flat plastic strip. It looks rubbish. I've told him I want the big end tiling over the top of the bath-to-wall meet to cover the space - which he says he can and will do. The other end (tap) I've got an ugly cheap solution. When I asked him to think about a solution creatively he told me he couldn't think of anything. I'm thinking of chucking him off the job (he's had interim payment). However this makes me feel sick inside, so has anyone got any creative suggestions to solve this eyesore?

Sponsored Links
It's best to post a photo if you can for questions like this.

Regards
footprints

Sponsored Links
yes. in hindsight.... when he took the old tiles off the walls caved in. So they were re-boarded (internal walls) by him and external wall (far end) re-plastered by other. So, I've already learned that he could have bulked out the internal wall to take the bath and 'trued' it back. However the bath remained in the hall until he had completed the tiling. I am not a confrontational person and would like to find a solution - it may well be more labour for him - but so be it!

I see your problem it does spoil the look, if it was just a bath change not too bad, but as you have had a full bathroom refit it is spoiling the ship it for a hap'orth of tar.

The normal way is to install the bath first and tile down to it, that way you can if needs be adjust the gap to suit and tiling onto the bath gives a much better seal.

No quick fix I'm afraid other than what he has done. I would shift the bath to the sitting end of the bath opening and then batten out the wall at the tap end so you tile onto the bath (giving a better seal) behind the taps as this is the area that is most likely to leak if you have a shower above that end.

Sorry I can't suggest any simple fix.
Regards,
footprints

PS make sure the battening out is done with a board like Aquapanel or similar waterproof board not plasterboard.

If there is enough tiles left over then tiling on top of what has been put up would be an option on the tap end.
As for the other end then I think it's as good as it can get I'm afraid, without building the wall out of coarse.

where he has put the flat plastic, what was the gap ? is it not possible to mitre the quadrant beading all around the bath, if you have enough tiles, I push the bath up to the end that is the tightest fitting, at the other end board the wall and re tile. OR strip the tiles off both walls and make the guy pay for new boards, tiles and adhesive

this is the first time I've visited this site - I am really grateful for all your advice and will take this info to him and hope to find a solution. Many thanks.

This should have been discussed and detailed before the tiling was started, once it was clear the walls were not in a good state. The fitter is at fault here, but unfortunately its too late now. The tiling looks like a good job though, looks level and evenly spaced. But the gaps on the bottom ends are not ideal, and the strips dont look great, but they dont look that bad either. Personally if I was paying, I would be relatively happy with that finish. Yes its not ideal, but its acceptable given the circumstances. I have seen such aweful work in my time, this job looks bloody brilliant!

Honestly my friend, the job looks ok. Its not too bad. I appreciate you've paid good money for this, and its not exactly how you would want, but it looks decent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back