tiling around bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read on here that a bath should be installed against the wall then tiles after so that water can run down into the bath (like you would install a shower tray). However, I'm installing a bath and if I do that it would be impossible (I think) to fit the bath panel as it needs to pull out sideways (a cheapy acrylic one). Same goes for the floor tiles - if I tile up to the bath panel it won't pull out at the bottom so that it can be removed. Can anybody point me in the right direction. I'm thinking tile the floor and walls then install the bath but that goes against what I keep reading.

Sponsored Links
Trim the panel, need to be careful and use a fine saw but it is OK if you take your time.

Thanks footprints. Thought about doing that but it's got a 90 degree bend that gives it rigidity. I think it will be ok if I use some batten behind it.

Maybe shape a bit of batten and silicone it to the back before cutting.

Sponsored Links
Maybe throw away the cheap acrylic panel and make a nice one out of T&G board instead?

Cheers
Richard

Or better still - replace the panels with 18mm ply, build a frame, then tile it to match the walls. The panels can either be held on with magnetic catches at the back, or screwed on at a 'grout junction' of 4 tiles. :D

To get back to your original post, there is nothing wrong with Tiling before the bath goes in. The minus is that you have to have a perfectly straight wall that is parallel to the bath, but the pluses are 1. You wont drop any tiles into the bath while you are doing it, and 2. you can silicone along the length of the bath ( the back unseen edge ) BEFORE you offer it to the wall. You still silicone as normal when its all finished and grouted etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back