looking to but an S reg scenic - any advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy an S reg Scenic, does any one have any advice about what to look for on this particular model?
thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Don't do it, my sister and brother inlaw bought a scenic recently, the dashboard died (a known problem if you google it) and Renault charged them £500 to fix it. The actual problem is a £40 microchip with a design flaw!!! Plenty of people I work with have or have had Renaults, electrics are generally a problem with them and they seem unable to diagnose anything that the computer can't tell them about (at a cost of £69 just to plug into your car).

Proof that the timing belt has been changed recently (at before 72k).

And I mean proof, not just "sayso".

Also, don't touch it with a bargepole.. lol

I wouldn't expect to be paying a lot for this car, look at parkers, they are not worth a lot now (s reg).

I would expect an S reg to be showing signs or having the need for lots of things to be going wrong now.

Also, go to www.renaultforums.co.uk

Check out the right hand door mounted mirror control.
There is a big problem with these causing the door to set on fire & burn the entire car. I recall a major recall instigated by that forum.

Sponsored Links
If its an auto forget it!

They are prone to snapping shock absorbers, numerous electricl problems and gearbox problems!

I would steer clear if I were you.

Ps - I used to work @ renault so know a thing or 2 about them, PPS I once accidentaly set off the airbag system in a scenic by waggling the gear stick!!! shows the quality of them eh!

Don't is the best advice so far.
French cars have a wonderful habit of developing electrical faults for no apparent reason that can be a pain to trace and expensive to fix.

petrols also seem to have a habit of eating coils (of which they have 4) my parents are on their 4th scenic (dont know why) this one and last from new, and ALL have had coil failures, even after replacement, the second scenic went through 7 coils in 2 years.

we have a picasso, and ours has been great, when it comes to getting rid of it, i have no idea what we would get,

have alook on honestjohn.co.uk
there is a car by car breakdown that gives good advice.

Sponsored Links
Back