Renault Grand Scenic Radio Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone,

following a problem i have been having with my radio fm i have decided to replace the radio. i will however like to know if replacing the radio is a simple fix. if i bought a car radio from argos, will that fit in my Renault Grand Scenic, without any modifications to the electric connectors? has any one replaced the radio in a 2006 Grand Scenic 7 seater before? any infomation on the raplacement will be greatly appreciated. i dont want to buy the radio and then find out it does not fit or i need to do modifications to the connectors/wiring to get it working. ( i am no good with electrics).please advice. thanks very much

Sponsored Links
You will probably need to buy a lead adaptor kit from Halfords, but as you state you have an FM issue, and as the aerial is a direct fit normally, then I suggest you have a connection issue with the aerial to the radio, and would experience the same issue with a new radio?

Unless the aerial is missing from the vehicle completely, (you would notice right?), then the normal route for the radio is alongside the passenger side, where the radio loom links to the main loom, in most cars...

So normally, a passenger reclines their seat, and kicks the wires under the glovebox, and disables the FM wire/aerial loop, on the secondary loom, from aerial to radio....

Very unlikely to lose FM on an OE radio, but all other functions remain. AM/MW don't need an aerial to operate. And mainly nothing electrical would cause FM to fail. So the radio is good.

thanks mickymoody. yes you are right. the problem is that the audio level from the fm is very low. the audio level is normally at level 12 which is fairly loud. however for the fm, the audio cuts out and remain very low. sometimes, the audio comes back for about 3 minutes and then cuts out again to very low. i have to increase the level to maximum(level 32), and even at maximum level, it sounds like there is no bass at all.

this does not affect mw,lw and cd at all.
not sure how to trace the wiring to the aerial though. i took the radio out yesterday and reseated the aerial cable at the back. made no difference.

does anyone know how to trace the aerial in the renault grand scenic(7 seater).??
thanks

Is the audio signal low, or the reception low? and that mutes the audio level? If the aerial is faulty, then normally you would receive static, but at the same level as normal, unless the radio mutes that? Does the tape/CD section work correctly? No.

Usually the aerial connection is one feed, from back of radio, under glovebox, along passenger sill, then up behind rear door into roof mounted aerial?

Or if aerial is at front of car, behind glovebox, up A pillar, to roofspace, to aerial. I don't know where the aerial is located on your vehicle, but roofmounted aerials can suffer from water ingress, and suffer corrosion damage, whereas the aerial whip itself is fine. Can you unscrew the whip, and meter the cable back to the connector? Or check the resistance on the aerial connector in the car, between middle pin, and earth, then unscrew aerial whip, and check again?

Maybe get an aerial connector from Maplin, or electrical shop, and jury rig a temporary aerial, or a cheap car radio, to confirm / deny?

Sponsored Links
the audio signal is low on the fm. the cd, mw,lw all play fine with the audio level ok.
the audio level drops by itself and becomes very quite. the there is no tape but the cd section works perfectly.

Back