Looking to fit decking rail and spindles on brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

New joiner here but long time admirer. Have found useful resources to do my odd DIY job.

My latest lockdown activity is to get decking spindles to our wall.

The wall is a single brick wall and is on the higher side of our garden, there is then a 2ft drop to the rest of the garden. You could call it a balcony!

What i am looking to do is fit some decking posts, spindles and handrails along the area which would give some protection for the kids.

I want to actually know whether it is ok to fit the posts and rails on the single brick wall or if it isn't what alternative is there.

Also what would be the best method to attach, i.e. brackets and the types of screws etc.

I have the posts and spindles already as i bought them 2nd hand, hence dont have any screws or fixings with them.

Would appreciate all the help, will try to get a pic of the area if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Semantics aside as a joiner is a trade ;)
you need the newels to be fully supported as they along with the handrail give all the strength and support to the banister other fixings are just to locate and tie in the component parts
in general a newel post will apply loads off leverage with a perhaps 3ft [4ft ]newel need an overlap off perhaps 12 inch at the base on the side off the bricks assuming they are very solid

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back