Looking To Install Down Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I would like to install some down lights in my hallway but not sure how many i would need?

My room size is approx 3.95m x 70cm and the height is approx 2.64m.

I'm thinking to buy 2 sets of 50W mains fixed down lights from here:
http://www.double-insulated-lighting.co.uk/downlights-072109.htm and use 4 of them in the hallway, and 1 for at the top of the stairs.

Does anyone think this will be enough?

Also these do not state that they are fire rated and im wondering if i need to buy fire hoods for each of them? or could i just use an insulation guard as i need these due to having insulation in my loft.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
my total lighting cost for my whole house at 45w mainly leds is around £17 a year with all light on for an average 10 hrs a day
your lighting for the hallway alone will be close to £100 if you go for 300w you will be using about £2 a week

Sponsored Links
my total lighting cost for my whole house at 45w mainly leds is around £17 a year with all light on for an average 10 hrs a day
your lighting for the hallway alone will be close to £100 if you go for 300w you will be using about £2 a week

:eek: Never thought about it like that. That is eye watering on just 4 bulbs! :eek:

The problem i have is that my lighting ring has no earth and the ones i have been looking at are class 2 double insulated which require no earth.

I'm guessing that i could just easily swap the 50W bulbs to LED's to keep the electric bill down?

i thought it was 6 bulbs at 50w ??
if its only 4 at 50w your ok at £67 a year lol :D

led are more expensive but save there money after about 1 year

i thought it was 6 bulbs at 50w ??
if its only 4 at 50w your ok at £67 a year lol :D

My fault had a couple of vinos this evening :D

Would have liked 5 (including 1 at the top of the stairs) but would have had to buy 2 sets with one left over.

They seemed appealing with them being quite cheap.

I didn't realise they cost so much to run as we currently have 8 50W GU10's on the go at the moment!!! :eek:

I didn't realise they cost so much to run as we currently have 8 50W GU10's on the go at the moment!!! :eek:

8x50w = 400w per hour for say 10 hrs = 4kw or 4 units off electic at say 12p so 48p a day times 356= £175 a year may be a bit less or a bit more dependant on use
so if we assume thats 1/3 off your total you may be paying around £500 for lighting against my less than £20
yes the bulbs are not the prettiest and wont look good in most light fittings and yes they cost around £10 each but the point is you decide will you notice after a few weeks that the bulb thats saving you £20 a year is unusual :D

I'm guessing that i could just easily swap the 50W bulbs to LED's to keep the electric bill down?
Or, radical idea I know, you could try using lights which are actually designed to light up rooms, not ones which are actually designed to not do that.

Or, radical idea I know, you could try using lights which are actually designed to light up rooms, not ones which are actually designed to not do that.

Maybe, just maybe, this is an instance of being ok.

I'll explain, the OP insists the width of the hall is 70cm, now a proper light may cast a 200-300cm pattern, so in a hall such ligh washes the walls and the floor.

A LED is a GU case spaced 3 along the corridor length of 3.75m. say at 0.8m, 1.875m and 2.95m will cast a much more functional light pattern.

Don't you agree ?

We currently have a wall light there and its absolutely crap as it creates shadows and it just isn't bright enough.

With adding some down lights, we thought it would give the hallway a modern look but also with creating enough light that wouldn't make the room too bright as the hallway will be painted white as well if this makes sense.

Over 3.75m of corridor / hall?

Nah, 2 of yours or 3 of the GU10 LEDs :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back