Looks for inspirational roofing for the odd shaped extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has an extension already to one side of it, but it's not square to the rest of the property. I already have planning permission to raise the roof height and make it pitched somehow. And that "somehow" is what I'm not sure of.

I can imagine the pitch will go front to back parallel along the longest length (i.e. no parallel to the wall of the main house, but parallel to the extension. I'm not sure where the centre of the pitch should be as the front elevation of the extension also has an angle it - but only just. (This could perhaps be "lost" be having a broader eaves so saving a further problem). To the rear, the shape of the walls is clearly a problem and the centre of the pitch at the front would not be the same centre and the rear, so maybe the gable here will have to be asymmetric, or suffer a flat roof - and it's flat roofing I'm trying to get rid of! I also need some inspiration on how it should interface with the existing roof.

Is this a truss job or a hand-cut job? Are there any great alternatives I should consider? The walls are all to be raised 4 or 5 courses higher as at the moment the ceiling is a little low, and the floors are to be made the same height throughout.

And no, there's not enough detail on the architects drawings to actually build something, I think he's relying on the skill of the chippy to cover this up.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back