Looks like that time of the year! (to empty septic tank..)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved to this rural property last year, but never arranged anyone to do this job. So whats teh best way to find someone to empty septic tank..? Is there a comparison site of sort.? Is thsi cost depends on how much litres of sewage need to be removed..? I have seen cost estimation £150 ..is that standard charge..? how to find best quote on this..?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess the only thing you can do is to ring around.....I have to pay around £350 to get mine done, but I do need a large 4WD tractor to access it from the field behind my house.
Apparently all sewage now has to go to a treatment works, rather than it being injected underground like it used to be.
As I know the guy who does mine I rally the neighbours too (4 households) and get them done at the same time - for a back hander :mrgreen: to my benefit :whistle:
Make sure you can get the lids up without any bother, and check the state of the outfall - which shouldn't have standing water in it.
There's only the two of us living in the house, and it can go 4 years easily - but I get it done more often just in case any solids head for the outfall.
Curious how the local farmers empty theirs at the same time they are mucking out !
John :)

I have been asked to provide estimate in gallons that needs removal...No clue what to answer.

3 of us staying here and last emptied in Aug 2020..
will this be 1000 gallons or 3000 gallons ..?? Any idea on this estimation..? Thanks

Hells bells Brett, I haven't a clue but no doubt this can be worked out when you know the dimensions of your tank - and how many tanks there are. If it has two then the second one is likely to be shallower. Measuring the depth of them isn't the most pleasant occupation!
If I remember, my own tank has a capacity of 5000 litres but a standard tanker can handle three loads.

Sponsored Links
So is the tank full now, to need emptied?
Some of the old tanks can go many many years, decades, without being emptied.

Ask round the neighbours who they use or recommend.
I paid £300 a couple years ago, flat rate, which I thought was a good price

Some leave having their tanks emptied for long periods of time and they still appear to be working ok. What isn't realised by all is as time goes by untreatable solids build up in the form of a sludge in the bottom of the tank. This sludge reduces the effective capacity of the system which may be fine for for say the old couple living there but if the occupancy increases the system is overwhelmed.
One way to tell how much sludge is present is to push a long batten to the bottom and feel the layers of resistance
A batten if measured can guage the depth which is needed along with length and width to work out the capacity.
I've e used a laser measure for for LxW, reaching down through the inspection cover
The above relates mainly to masonry built tanks

Last edited:
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-14 at 13.25.48.jpeg
I can see 3 lids, 2 close lids and one 1m before that
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-14 at 13.26.08.jpeg

Last edited:
So is the tank full now, to need emptied?
Some of the old tanks can go many many years, decades, without being emptied.

Ask round the neighbours who they use or recommend.
I paid £300 a couple years ago, flat rate, which I thought was a good price

As you say old tanks used to last years before needing to be emptied , one trick was to put a dead rabbit in the tank microbes would help to keep the level down and stop any smell .

I use a microbe powder once a month which appears to be the same solution and has kept the level down for the last couple of years or so , considering its about £30 for a years treatment does appear to save money .
Avoid using or limit anti bacterial products, i.e bleachs, soap powders entering the Tank .

After clearing all the weed around the lids I have following findings..

1. There are 4 lids/chambers for this septic tank system (not 3!)
2. First lid seems to be an inspection chamber sort as shown in first Image below. Water just flows via this.I can't see any difficulty in water flow, I suppose thats a good sign..?
3. Between chamber 2 above and actual septic tank there is small round hole may be 15cm diameter. see 2nd Image below. This is made of red brick (clay) material. I measured depth using stick into this only. I can say no smell I could get when I opened this chamber and can see some water down.
4. 3 & 4 lids covers side by side equal sized chambers paved with bricks. chamber 3 got solid waste and still didn't smell anything!! I didn't had courage to put a stick in this
5. Chamber 4 is same size as 3 but this got cloudy water in it, no solid waste
6. Both above chambers are 60% filled I think
7. when emptying waste is that done on solid chamber waste only..? or liquid chamber as well?
8. Solid chamber volume seems to be as shown in last image, but its not in 1000's of gallon as the companies were asking me..? Is this volume calculation wrong?
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 00.52.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 00.52.36.png
tank volume.png

Are you just giving the inspection cover size , the actual chambers extend well beyond these
If you get a metal rod, prod it into the ground working out from the covers in all directions you may be able to find the external size when the rod hits softer ground.
. with regard shoving a stick in there, its a septic tank ,not a biological warfare centre on the edge of a fish market:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lets determine first if the first pic is the tank inlet...flush the loo, empty a bath or whatever and watch where the flow starts.
The inlet allows soil into the first, solids tank, initially and then this decants into the next one which is liquids - and any other escaping solids. This done, the tank then sends liquid to outfall which is yet another chamber, making 4 in all.
The salt glaze vertical pipe may be a vent, rodding point or the top of a 'dip pipe' that allows waste from one tank into the other.
Can you give us a pic of the 4th chamber please?
I must say, things are looking good here but we'd like to see the outlet as well as the inlet - both should be dry when the tank is resting.
When pumping out, both the chambers are emptied.
Your formula looks about right so long as your measurements are!

After further investigations I can confirm..

1 - is tank inlet and flushed tank and saw water coming out flowing without any blocks, so tank still have capacity.
2 - Still not cleat what is this and use of it, I managed pull out tissue from there and depth wise its same as septic tank but nothing solid in this
3- Solid tank, I managed to put stick there and measure depth more accurately to 120cm filled with 40cm empty
4. Liquid waste same size as (3)

Updated volume calculation looks to be around 800 L (solid + liquid). If completely liquid emptied from tank any issues with soak away?

"The salt glaze vertical pipe may be a vent, rodding point or the top of a 'dip pipe' that allows waste from one tank into the other." -->> assuming this is about (2) as you can see this is not between solid and liquid septic tanks..
Can you give us a pic of the 4th chamber please? -->
new pic.png
>3 & 4 are exactly same size one got solid waste and other liquid waste.
Are you just giving the inspection cover size, the actual chambers extend well beyond these -->> I am not, but tank width and length are nearly same as that of lid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back