Loop in Lighting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently undertaking first fix in my own self build with NHBC doing the building control, and me arranging the inspection and testing.

Im doing the lighting circuit by looping in at the switch and wondered, apart from lack of space in terminals, is it ok to have more than one loop out cable from a particular switch, basically splitting the circuit into seperate directions to feed two rooms and using less cable runs.

Sponsored Links
Ok cheers, and yes 35mm dry lining boxes to be used so will have the required space.

Sponsored Links
Why loop in at switch? easier at ceiling rose.

What if the job is a flat with wall washers, GU10's and individual styled light fittings ?

How many ceiling rose loop in / out systems end up on choc blocks rather than on ceiling rose / pendant junctions ?

At switch, allows for easier terminating, testing and access. It also simplifies the fit job on lights fittings since there's only 1 x cable.

All new build work is done at switch in my area.

As Chri5 has said.

With junction boxes required to be accessable, looping in at he switch means all terminations are easy to access.

Less terminations at lighting point which is handy for some types of fittings.

And handy when someone wants to add another light, switched separately from the same place.

How often do we see the reply "No, you can't do that as there is no neutral at the switch"?

Anyone know why it was once considered a hanging offence?
Wiring by numbers - people told how to install circuits, but not given the reasons why or any details of how the circuit functions.

Not following the standard plan was therefore not permitted, simply because those responsible did not understand what the implications of doing things differently would be.

I like this method, and if terminal space is tight there is nothing stopping you terminating all of your permanent 'lives' in a connector block and running a 'fly lead' to the switch, the only downside is if a permanent 'live' is ever needed at the rose, although this could be overcome by running 3 core and CPC to the rose from the switch if you wanted to try and cover all bases. sometimes fan lights require a permanent feed so you can have the fan without the light on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back