Loops in plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just wondering what the general consencus was on having plumbing that drops down to come back up in a central heating system? i.e. the hot pipe comes out of the rad drops down then goes along a bit then goes back up before joining the main feed. would this cause any problems apart from when draining?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
thanks I was just wondering if it would effect the principle of hot water rising and weather hot water could in fact sink too?

As it's pumped there will be no heat rising effect.

thanks I was just wondering if it would effect the principle of hot water rising and weather hot water could in fact sink too?

That's not significant, assuming you're using a pump.
You need air vents on all high points and drain cocks on all low points.

got the vents and drain points but its not pumped at the mo its on a back boiler. would you recommend putting a pump in?

How old is this non-pumped (hard to believe)back boiler system?

I'm thinking you are not at all conversent with pumped and gravity systems.

Maybe not, but there is definately not a pump in this system hence my post in the first place asking about shape of the plumbing? Its a back boiler running three rads and hot water?

Are we talking solid fuel? if so I apologise as it may well be gravity (I don't do solid fuel)

Even if it is solid fuel it is not being described properly or it wouldn't work.
Very unusual to have 3 rads fed on gravity. That went out in the 60's.

yeah it is solid fuel sorry? would love gas but none in the village? so it is a bit like back to the sixties or even 20s but i'm just trying to get the best out of it. so you would put a pump in the system somewhere?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back