Loose bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heres my problem, my single hole type mixer tap on the bath has worked loose and needs tightening up, but the problem is it is in the middle on the long side of the bath against the wall so access will be tricky.
Will I need to pull the bath out, which means taking off tiles, ripping wall paper ect. or is there as less distruptive method like using a extra long tool and mirrors to see whats happening?
I think it will we a nightmare to sort out but any suggestions that would make this easier would be grateful, many thanks in advance! (oh and my next bath will have the taps located at the traditional end!!!) :cry:

Sponsored Links
unless you can see round the back of the bath then your only option is remove it or gain access from the other side if its a stud wall.

thats why i never fit taps on the rear cause sods law it'll be me asked to change them in the future.

good luck you need it.

Ok so I went in through the wall to gain access and can get to the tap.
Now this tap went loose for a reason, its a heritage caprieze monobloc bath filler, and on comparing it with the basin tap its a hell of a lot tighter and rougher to turn from hot to cold than the basin tap.
I reckon theres something just not right with it and am thinking since ive gone to all this trouble i should change it but read about how the cartridge can be changed on it, could this sort the tightness/roughness issues?

Sponsored Links
Just looked to see its about 3 years old, and heritage give 5 years warranty on taps, will give them a phone to see if i can get a replacement.
So what does the cartridge bit do?

Now this tap went loose for a reason, its a heritage caprieze monobloc bath filler, and on comparing it with the basin tap its a hell of a lot tighter and rougher to turn from hot to cold than the basin tap.

I'm afraid that with quite a few budget monobloc bath and basin taps, they tend to stiffen up after a while. This will undoubtable cause the tap to loosen on its mounting.

Chances are you may be able to cure it now, but will have the same problem in another couple of years.

Bearing in mind the location of your tap, it may be worth cutting your losses and buying something quality that will last. The Grohe range is one example that springs to mind.

Removing it is the only way unless you can actually poke your head & arm under to see what your doing as well as reaching the tap easily enough.. either way I'd make sure you have someone else with you to give you a hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back