Spinning, loose bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a few months use I find that out bath taps become a little loose and I can move them.

The backnut isn't moving. But the thread of the tap spins within while the base plate and backnut is stationary.

Tap
---
Base Plate
---
Bath
---
Backnut

There's only so much tightening i can do before cracking the bath. What is the correct what to stop this? And....just how do people go on if they have this problem with taps that are on the long side of the bath up against the wall?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the threaded part is unscrewing from the body of the tap. This is a relatively rare problem. The solution is to remove the taps from the bath, tighten the threads in, then re-install the taps. Or alternatively remove the taps, unscrew the threaded part all the way, put some thread sealer on the joints, screw them back in and reinstall the taps.

People who have this problem when they taps are on the long side of the bath are in a major pickle and may well need to remove the bath in order to remove the taps.

The thread part of the tap is firmly secured in the tap body. perhaps i explained wrongly.

The tap body sits onto a base plate. The taps have levers that move left to right, so eventually this movement results in the tap body(and thread) moving slightly.

A wooden batten with holes in under the bath .Then backnut tightened onto it ;)

Sponsored Links
Rigid (copper) pipework in place of flexible tails can help too. IMO plastic pipes are too flexible to offer much support to the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back