Wobbly Tap ... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taps (pillar taps) are secured to the sink, etc by a backnut and washer. And i know it's good practice to use sealant or putty around the tap hole before it is put through and tightened. BUT one of my taps moves a bit recently! I know it's not that big a deal but why is this? Is it due to a bit of the putty being removed from around the base of the tap recently thus breaking the seal? I have felt the backnut and it seems fully tight. How do I get this tap as tight as the other one? WIll I have to remove the tap, re-putty it then re-tighten or can I do it without removing the tap?? It doesn't move when just turned on (it's a 1/4 turn type lever tap btw) BUT with any little bit of force on it it moves around freely! It has flexy connectors connecting it to the supply pipes also.

Sponsored Links
LB,

Modern taps dont normally need anything to seal them to basin, if you going to use anything then use some silicon ans this will set and hold tap in place.

Plumbers mait (putty) doesnt set.

Regards
Richard

thanks rico. i dnt know why it's started turning - think i did remove a bit of the putty around it but didn't think this would make a difference!!! the taps not that old and surely the backnut holds it in place! i might have to take the tap out to apply the sealnt BUT it's quite tight at the back where it is - so might be a tight sqeeze!!! any tips for tight squeeze jobs!!! :)

Sponsored Links
i have an adjustable basin wrench. it's tricky to use, but i have used it before and got the hang of it! i prefer to use an adjustable spanner IF i can get better access tho.

looks a really good set. are they a lot better than normal basin wrenches?? i'm defo going to order the set!

LB,

Way better than basin wrench, better acess into tighter areas and you can get more torque on the handle than you can with basin wrench.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back