Spinning bath tap, backnut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted new taps to our bath. It was a bit tricky as the holes on the bath were square and thus the taps only just covered the hole corners.

I used metal tophat washers and then the tap backnut underneath...

One of the taps is spinning slightly, the backnut and tophat washer remain stationary and the tap thread spins within. What's the best way to stop it? I'm afraid of tightening the backnut anymore incase I damage something.

Sponsored Links
Use a Fixatap kit, i think the green kit is for bath taps google "fixatap kit"

Using some rubber washers between the surface your fixing to and the backnut, this will give you something to tighten the nut onto without causing any damage to anything else, if this fails, try threading some PTFE tape around the taps thread, this could tighten the threads and make it slighty harder for the tap to turn in the nut.

Sponsored Links
common problem. thing is u used a metal top hat (which i have never heard of b4.) the idea of using tophats is that they r plastic, and have a little give in them meaning as u tighten the back nut the top hat compresses slightly. also use brass back nuts as plastic ones always break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back