Loose brickwork above door

Sponsored Links
Surely there is hardly any weight above that door to need a lintel.
Although technically a lintel is the correct answer the door only needs to support about 10 bricks so its a bit of an overkill.
I bet if you take the trim off the top of the door you will find a gap between the frame and bricks of 10-20mm.
If so pack the bricks back up with some packers, foam up the gap, replace the trim and repoint.

Sponsored Links
Surely there is hardly any weight above that door to need a lintel.
Although technically a lintel is the correct answer the door only needs to support about 10 bricks so its a bit of an overkill.
I bet if you take the trim off the top of the door you will find a gap between the frame and bricks of 10-20mm.
If so pack the bricks back up with some packers, foam up the gap, replace the trim and repoint.

:mad: Clearly you have no idea of how loading is spread above an opening. It is supporting pretty much the same as any opening that size in the outer leaf of a brick wall. Perhaps more if the brickwork on the left hand side is not tied in properly. What you are describing is nothing short of bodging the job and completely unacceptable.

True I'm not arguing with you, I did say that a lintel was the correct answer.
In an ideal world one would have been fitted when the porch was constructed.
My idea was a bodge! :oops:

But Id bet a tenner on it that it would work.

<snipped>But Id bet a tenner on it that it would work.

The problem with bodging is that it can work for a while but then later the problems start. - If you are happy with doing that to people I can't stop you but you could at least stop spreading it around when you don't get anything out of it and certainly not my tenner ;)

Fordy could you answer a couple of questions for me please:
1. I assume this porch is quite old?
2. Did it originally have a wooden door that was replaced with the PVC door?
3. I assume that the PVC door is 2-5 years old, but definitely less than 10?
4. Was it fitted by a Fensa registered window company?
5. Is that company still trading and do you know who they are?

Depending on the answers to these questions you may be able to get the people who fitted the door to come back and sort this at their expense. If the answers are mainly or all yes I will post the relevant information to quote to them.

Fordy could you answer a couple of questions for me please:
1. I assume this porch is quite old?
2. Did it originally have a wooden door that was replaced with the PVC door?
3. I assume that the PVC door is 2-5 years old, but definitely less than 10?
4. Was it fitted by a Fensa registered window company?
5. Is that company still trading and do you know who they are?

Depending on the answers to these questions you may be able to get the people who fitted the door to come back and sort this at their expense. If the answers are mainly or all yes I will post the relevant information to quote to them.

1. 10+ years, before we had house.
2. Yes was a wooden door and frame.
3. door was done seven years ago
4. Local tradesman.
5. Yes, they told us it has happened because we bash the door frame with pushchair! We have had issues with door not locking as frame is moving.

If it was a builder rather than a Fensa window company I dought he guarantees his workmanship for 10 years I'm afraid.

I will probably get shouted at again here but Id do what I said and see how it gos (if it cracks again later down the line you can go for a lintel). If in seven years only those few have come loose its obvious to me that there is very little weight on that door. PVC is not classed as load bearing but 10-20 bricks wont be a problem on that short span.

If you go totally legit with a lintel you would need building control to sign it off (and charge you about £200 for the pleasure) £25-£35 for the lintel, upto a days labor for a builder. The plaster on the inside may get damaged and need re skimming and decorating, It could end up costing nearly £500.
My idea would take about 30 mins and most likely solve the problem permanently.

Good luck what ever you decide

Its probably worth giving the builder a call as he might do it for you as a gesture of good will but Its unlikely he will fit you a lintel for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back