Loose door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the stupid question but I have a door handle that's become loose and I'm unsure how I fix it.

Picture of the handle below. You can see the angle the handle should be at on the other side - the part you hold with your hand has loosened and is sagging.

Do I have to remove both sides of the door handle?

01LDHQ8.jpg

Apologies again for how useless I am.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
is it a metal door?

Is it the round rose that is loose?

Or do you mean the spindle is not operating the latch?f

Hi - the part you hold with your hand.

You can see the other side in the pic - that's the angle it should be.

Then it is probably the spindle and/or the socket in the lever handle worn out of square.

There is a chance the spindle was cut too short and does not reach right into the socket. Take the handle off and examine its socket and the spindle squares. You can get a replacement spindle or handle from a hardware supplier or eBay. IronmongerDirect have a good range. From memory the spindle is 10mm but measure it to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Is there a grub screw in the handle.?[on the underside] Could have fallen out allowing too much rotation of the handle.

If there is no visible screw fastening then there is a screw (sometimes an allen key head) inside the stub with the grove,this needs tightening to pull the round handle back into the stub grove.

Need to take the complete fitting off the door.

Could be wrong,thou.

Edit,the necessary screws are removed so it all should pull straight off.check if there is a retaining grub screw bottom of groved stub.Loosen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's curious that the screw-holes in the rose (they don't look original) don't seem to line up with any holes in the door. It might be instructive to see the door, with the handle taken off it, and the inside of the handle assembly.

If there is a problem with screws, it might be possible to refit using sleeve nuts.

The door looks like a metal one to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back