loose mortar in between slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New patio a couple of years ago. company did a good job with the sandstone slabs but the mortar was a rush job. pretty dry sand heavy mix brushed into quite wide gaps. mortar gradually crumbling away particularly during annual power wash. Was this a poor job or am I being unreasonable in asking them to come back. does this happen to all mortar in the face of bad weather and power-washing? any advice.

Sponsored Links
Did you see them push the the mortar into the joints or just brush it, try to avoid full force pressure wash, even still it shouldn't come away that easy.

Thanks for responding. bit of both really. Five people working on it at the same time. To be fair there was some effort to compact the sand and cement between the slabs. I guess I might have been a bit robust with the power washing.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion pointing should last at least 5 years, 10 if conditions are good and it was done well.

I try and steer people away from power washing as frankly you shouldn;t let it get so bad that powerwashing is the only answer.

It will also dramatically speed up the colour loss from any kind of concrete paving.

Its up to you regarding calling them back. If its only 2 years i would definately get them back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back