Loose stone slab step - how do i secure it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice... After the recent snow and ice the top stone paving slab (2.5foot by 1.5 foot) on my garden steps has come loose, there is a 4ft drop to one side to the patio, obviosly this is a bit of a risk!

My concerns are around ensuring it is not loose once fixed - does any one have any advice on what mix of cement to use and whether it will be possible to re-lay it in frosty conditions?

It looks like there is about an inch and a half of sandstone coloured mortor underneath it and its brick / breeze block under that with an 8" x 8" cavity in the middle.

Thanks in advance. Dave

Sponsored Links
You will need to replace that mortar. Knock it away with a bolster being careful not to disturb nearby slabs. Then make a mix of 3 parts sharp sand to 1 part cement and dont make it too wet. Lay the slab and level. Use a rubber mallet for levelling so not to crack the slab.

cant tell from the picture if there is pointing in between the slabs. If so make sure you clear that aswell before laying. replace that with 3 parts builder sand to 1 part cement. (you can use building sand for laying the slab too if its easier) Match it up depending whether it went in dry or wet. if it look smooth will have been wet, If more granulated was probably brushed and packed in dry.

I wouldnt lay in frosty conditions. 5 degc + is best

Many thanks for the advice! Guess i'll be holding off on this job until the weathers a bit warmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back