Loose window making entire wall rattle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a window, it's in a wooden window frame. There's a rattling noise that occurs, I believe it's caused by the vibrations resulting from vehicles driving past. During the day it happens worst, on a night, when no traffic passes my house, is almost non-existent. The rattling noise is everywhere on the wall this window is, it sounds like it's in the walls, the curtain rail rattles. When I hold the window, push against it so it can't move, the noise stops. But then I've tried sticking things in the small gaps in between the window and frame, so there is no movement at all, yet it still happens. Called a handyman, waiting for him to call back, but he's taking a while, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
WolfOfBakerStreet, good evening.

OK timber window, Question? is it one of the old types of windows where there are two sashes that slide and open vertically past each other? So called Sash and Case?

Any chance of a photo?

Pointless trying to tender information Board needs a description of the window, Please?

Ken.

If the noise seems to be coming from the wall, then it sounds as though there's something lose in the case where the weights are. Try pulling on the ropes to lift the weights, and see if that stops it; if it does, then you need to shorten the ropes to lift the weights off of the base of the frames.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Doggit, but you've lost me :LOL:

Some pics below. I think the material is stained knotty pine. It's the entire bedroom that rattles, different parts of the walls, the door, so if it sounds like a familiar situation to anyone? But like I say, if I hold the window by the frames, it stops the rattling in that area, where it's most annoying. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 282
Sorry Wolf, no wonder I lost you, your windows lovely, but nothing like what I was expecting. I've never seen one like that before. You're either on a dodgey road, and nothings going to cure it, or there's something loose, and it's going to need someone onsite to find where the problem lies. Are you able to look from outside (ladder required I think) and see if there's any gaps etc that can be seen.

WolfOfBakerStreet, good evening again.

As Doggit I was not expecting a window like that?

Question? is it the rectangular opening sash that is moving? and rattling around?

From the digital image, I assume that the rectangular sash is openable, there being a lever catch fitted within the lower third of the window? or is the ironmongery in the lower third a opening restrictior with the single sash latch being the other bit of ironmongery fitted at the central astragal?

Sorry for so many questions and very few answers? but as stated was not expecting to see this type of window.

As an aside the window appears original, what age is the property? -- 1950s? ---?

Thanks, both.

Doggit,

I've been in this house almost three years and the rattling is only noticeable now, so something's changed, it isn't just being on a dodgy road. I haven't looked up close outside, on a ladder. The window is quite high up, so I'd probably rather have a builder do that. Othewise everything looks fine.

Ken,

The rectangular sash opens, yep. That would I assume be the part where the problem is, as nothing else on the window can move. And that's the part that if I hold it, rattling ceases. But then I've tried jamming it, to the point where it is as tight as if I were holding it, but that doesn't stop it.

I think it's an old place. It's a coach house, restored ''from a shell'' ten or so years ago.

It would appear that the, as you have found out, it is the Openable sash that is the culprit.

I can see from the Image that there are two catches? or as previous post is one a restrictor?

The catches appear to be in a somewhat odd location in that, on such sashes it is common to install the catches about one third down from the top and one third up from the bottom, this assists in preventing the sash twisting and rattling

What could possibly have happened to your sash is that the sash has, over time, warped thus causing the rattle, indeed what with, it appears a one off center catch?

Another potential problem would be to check for is the condition of the Hinges, are they intact, or are they corroded, or indeed loose, indicating wood rot on the frame?

As an afterthought? is the sash drafty? if so where is the worst draft coming from?

Ken.

I guess one is a restrictor? The top one stops the window from opening, the bottom one has several holes, which you use to keep the window open. It wouldn't surprise if it wasn't installed correctly, the landlord likes to cut corners. The hinges look fine, and are tightly in. The sash is drafty, but only until recently has there been a noise. There's a fair gap at the top and bottom of the sash. The only thing I can pinpoint is that one night when it was windy the window started banging, so I did something with the catches, unscrewed and screwed, which stopped the banging, but started this rattling.

WolfOfBakerStreet, good evening.

OK the restrictor is the the lower bit of ironmongery, in effect it restricts the opening of the window sash.

The other bit of ironmongery is the device that holds the window sash closed.

Sorry to say but it would appear that your adjustment of the catch is possibly? stress possibility?? the cause of the window rattling?

Would suggest you try to re-adjust the single catch possibly using the original screw holes? OR?

Get yourself another catch and fit it somewhere within the upper or lower one third of the sash as previous post, bet way to hold the sash closed and relatively draft free is to have two window sash catches at one third down and one third up on the sash edge. they are generally fairly cheap th get a hold of.

Ken.

Thanks very much, Ken, I really appreciate your input. I've been waiting on your replies rather than calling a handyman :LOL: I'll have another look at it.

There is a possibility that a couple of up close digital images of the Catch may assist? these catches come in a plethora of types?

Ken.

Thanks, Ken. I don't have a camera phone, but the next time I have access to one I'll take a photo.

Hello, again,

Thought maybe something else may be the cause, but that didn't pan out. Here's the photo's.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 235

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back