Loose window making entire wall rattle?

WolfOfBakerStreet, good evening again.

As I understand things? there is one restrictor and one window catch?

If I am correct, the configuration of only one window catch may??? be the issue. It is a general rule of thumb that the sash should be held fast by two window catches sited about one third up and one third down, that way any twisting of the sash will be minimised.

One way of testing the above theory is simply to engage the window catch, then try to push top and bottom of the sash to see if there is any movement in the sash, no matter how small. If there is a movement then that could be the source of the problem, resolution would be to fit two window catches as described above.

If the above fails to pin point the problem use the push test to see if the entire window is moving?? that would be somewhat unusual??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Hi, again,

I have a smaller window in the kitchen. As I am mostly downstairs, it's more important I don't start having any issues like this downstairs, so I wanted to ask if the configuration of the downstairs window is correct, or if that needs an extra catch? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 64
WolfOfBakerStreet, good evening, sorry I missed your last posting.

In general terms, any opening window whether it be a hopper [last images] or side hung have conventionally had two points of equidistant anchorage, this because the opening sash tends to twist within the frame, this because of thermal and moisture movements within the timber.

I may be wrong, but your last posted images of the Kitchen window has two fixing points? but not Symmetrical on the sash, the secondary fixing appears to be on the right hand side of the sash, this second fixing point could have been introduced as an intruder deterrent? or simply because this sash historically has also been vibrating because of the single central sash fixing point?? [ then as above the sash twists and vibrates]

Is there a problem with the Kitchen Sash hopper?

Any joy with the upper floor side hung problem??

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi, Ken,

I'm not sure what you mean by a ''fixing point''? There is one restrictor, and one catch. The kitchen is fine, but if there is to be a similar problem, I'd rather solve it before it begins.

Still trying to find a handyman to take care of the bedroom window. The handyman my landlord uses is a clown; he was supposed to turn up last week but didn't, nor give me a call. So I'm trying to find someone else to maintain my house.

I just noticed, when the bedroom window is fully open, so neither the catch nor restrictor are in use, I still get the rattling. Does that information mean anything to you?

Thanks again.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the rattling, I think, is the pipes in the wall. Tried doing the thing of flushing the water out, didn't help.

Last edited:
WolfOfBakerStreet, Good evening, sorry in delay in response, certain other pressures?

If the kitchen window is functioning as intended, is should remain so for some time.

As for the bedroom window being in the fully open position, but the rattling continues is to say the least intriguing?

incorrectly restrained pipework, especially the hot pipe can expand and in doing so will rattle around, such pipe work should be restrained at regular intervals.

Is there a Radiator? or, a Bathroom / Kitchen nearby? in effect is there any possibility that a passing hot Pipe [un-restrained] is causing the problem, the pipe will probably be concealed within the wall??

Ken

Hi, Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

There is a radiator on the wall in question. I'm sure it's the pipes making the noise, how would I go about getting that sorted? Would a plumber be able to identify the pipe and fix it, if it's in the wall?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back