Loose wire on mains incomer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group, a property I rent out has a loose connection on the item in the photo, it appears to be the left one with the black tape on it, it's crackling and the lights are flickering, the unit is sealed, it sits next to the electric meter. Obviously it needs fixed asap, what I'd like to know is, who's responsible for this, is it me or the supplier for the property (British Gas)
Thanks in advance group, Otto in a sunny Cumbria
lek.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should switch off your electric at the fuse boxes/ consumer units, (or the arcing could start a fire). If the connection is between the suppliers cutout (the black thing at the bottom of your photo) and the electric meter it is the suppliers responsibility. If it is after the meter it is your responsibility. The 'black tape' is the inner insulation of the cable (which shouldn't be showing like it is in your photo). If it is your responsibility, I would recommend calling an electrician to correct it, as it will mean exposing permanently live connections, not a DIY job.

Sponsored Links
Probably, but some of the meter fitters seal everything in sight, I didn't want the OP to call the DNO only for them to say 'not our problem' and then charge for the callout without fixing it!

Probably, but some of the meter fitters seal everything in sight, I didn't want the OP to call the DNO only for them to say 'not our problem' and then charge for the callout without fixing it!
Indeed.

Otto: can you see (without touching anything) where those two pairs of cable go? It looks as if the left hand pair (left hand in the Henley block) probably come from the incoming supply below, but where do the other pair (disappearing out of top of photo) appear to go?

Kind Regards, John

Might not be easy to post unless he has a phone, as he has switched his electricity off!

True.

Norweb guys in the eighties were seal-happy.

They came to check a 10 milli shower circuit I put in for my Ma in 1986 and after they had tested it, sealed everything in sight, including a henley I had put in post-meter.

He complained most vociferously when he noticed I had cut the seal and we had a robust discussion about why he should seal it and why I could cut the seal...

Thank you so much for all the advice guys, the pro's came out within the hour, stripped all the wiring out and renewed, job is sorted. Would like to upgrade the consumer unit in the near future as it's quite old.
Thanks again guys, Otto, in a starry West Cumbria

You got it in time which is good, loose connections can easily cause fires, the one below could have if the terminal wasn't mounted in porcelain, a plastic switch certainly wouldn't have survived. This cable is a 35mm².
20161102_193145.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back