Losing pressure on Ideal Icos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pressure kept dropping on our Ideal Icos boiler (gone from every few weeks to weekly, now daily). Each morning the heating doesn't come on because it's below 1 on the gauge. I top up and we get heat until it drops again. Plumber finally had to re pressurise the expansion tank last week. He advised us that as the fan is playing up too, our Ideal Icos is nearly 11 years old and we have been getting intermittent error codes too, we should cut our losses and replace it. It has been unreliable for years and we have had all manner of parts replaced including the circuit board. We have, after much considerstion, arranged to have an Ideal Logic fitted in 3 weeks.

The heating was fine for 3 days following his last visit but now back to square one, with pressure gauge way below one, so we have switched off, got a couple of Dimplex and the immersion tank to keep us going.

My slight concern now is this. If the system is topped up with water when the boiler isn't running and the pressure still drops overnight does this mean there is a leak somewhere or is the water just replacing air in the expansion tank? The last thing I want is to have a new boiler fitted only to find that the problem was due to a leak. I ask because I tried it last night and we are down to zero again this morning even though heat is not on. Our plumber hasn't mentioned it as a possibility. Apologies for long post but wanted you to have background. Any comnents/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Loss of pressure while the boiler is off can still be due to a fault in the boiler, e.g. a leak in a heat exchanger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back