Loss of electric, buzzing & whistling noises, ACL Lifest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for help and advice after I recently experienced a partial loss of electric in my home followed the next day on by some worrying buzzing and whistling noises when switching on a light.

I woke up on Saturday morning to discover I had no electric on the ground and first floor but still had electric on the second floor of my house. I checked the trip switch box and all switches had remained in their on position. I realised I had two separate switches for sockets, one for both ground and first floor and the other solely for the second floor. As well as separate switches for lights (2 switches), cooker, smoke alarms and immersion heater.

I worked out that the electric must have gone out just after midnight as the washing machine was on a timer and hadn't completed its cycle. Very little is left on over night only the fridge/freezer, washing machine and heating/hot water timer control.

I changed the fuses in the ACL Lifestyle LP241 timer and the washing machine thinking a fuse must have caused the power loss but the power would not return.

An engineer was sent from the electric board who couldn't really do anything as we still had an electrical supply entering the property. He kindly had a quick look at Hager switch box and said the most likely cause was the circuit breaker had gone.

I rushed out to buy a replacement but couldn't find one the right size/shape to fit the Hager box. So as a temporary measure I have swapped the circuit breaker switch from the second floor to provide electric to the ground and first floor. They are exactly the same.

After restoring the power I noticed that there was no display in the ACL Lifestyle timer and the buttons on it don't function. It appears there is power going to it as the little yellow back light comes on. Unsure of whether this has been the root of the power loss I have kept the timer switched off.

In addition, yesterday evening (Sunday) when switching on a light in a ground floor room I heard loud and worrying electrical buzzing and whistling noises coming from the Hager switch box. The lights were also flickering.
For information the light is in the same room as the ACL timer control but the same thing happens when I also switch on the light in the downstairs toilet where the switch box is located.

Can anybody give me any tips or advice please, it would be very much appreciated.

Could the ACL Lifestyle caused the power loss?

What is causing the worrying noises when the light is turned on?

Are the two incidents related?

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
As your ACL lifestyle programmer is now faulty it would be a reasonable suspect for your MCB problem...

Your lighting problem either sounds like a loose connection in the CU or the busbar isn't located correctly in the lighting MCB,, I guess you had the busbar out to replace the MCB??

and Hager MCB's are widely available from most wholesalers (either in stock or ordered in)

If you are unsure as to what you are doing then I would suggest that you get an electrician in to have a look

Mrchive . the problem you have with your Electrics is not one to be treated on a trial & error repair basis...the best advice to be given to you is call in a Qualified Electrician,,,He / or She will pinpoint the problem in a Safe and reliable manner !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back