Loss of pump circulation to boiler after radiator modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a an open vented system which is split into two with one part serving the original house (heating plus hot water via a 3 port valve) and the other part with it's own pump serving the extension. A single boiler feeds both old and new pumps and the feed/return pipework is common to both pumps except for the final 4m or so.
I changed a radiator (old house) and modified the pipework by creating a vacuum which appeared to go ok. New rad was heating up but I wasn't happy with the heat output from the downstairs rads (on drops) but this was actually an issue before I installed the new rad. To try to force the "issue", I turned off all upstairs rads and just left the downstairs ones on which heated up initially. However, after a while I noticed that they were cooling and the boiler had tripped and was "kettling" when turned back on so I realised I had lost circulation to the boiler. All rads were bled but no joy. I thought I had a blockage somewhere so drained the system down and flushed the boiler through to prove there was no blockage there.
I have several drain points and have drained down several times using different points to try to clear any air locks but with no joy.
Now after the last drain down, when I turn the system on, I hear an inrush of water and when I turn it off, I can hear water flowing back into the expansion tank. I also just tested and found that when started, the system draws air through the expansion pipe. I know that the 15mm feed from the expansion tank is not blocked as it re-fills the system through this pipe but I am convinced there is a physical blockage (or perhaps and air lock) somewhere as the system just doesn't feel right when I re-fill (pressure doesn't seem the be there when I bleed the rads). The new pump also does not circulate to the boiler. I had someone (supposed to be reliable on a well known "checking"trade site) come out to take a look 3 days ago and he said that the return from the extension system was in the wrong place and that was the cause of the problem (drawing in air) so I modified the pipework as he suggested (it now T's into the original heating return which then T's into the hot water return). I wasn't entirely convinced by what he suggested so whilst doing the mod I actually capped off the extension return and filled/ran the system but with the same result so this at least proved that the extension return was not the cause of the problem. When he returned after my mod, he did initially get the hot water primary to heat up (just by regulating the pump) but when he introduced the heating, circulation was lost and did not return to the primary circuit. He thought it was an air lock and promised to return 2 days later with his power flush but he let me down today and I don't particulary trust his judgement (I won't go into details here) so have told him I will find someone else.
I have drained the system down many times and modified the pipework without issue before and am convinced there is a physical blockage somewhere rather than an air lock.
Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the problem and is there anything else I can check/do without using a power flush etc. (if I need to power flush then I will get someone in to do this.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a drawing at the moment - would have to get something drawn up. Excluding the extension system (which I don't think is causing the issue as I effectively isolated it the other day), the old system it is a fairly conventional layout - 10 rads in total, 28mm feed (reducing to 22mm) from boiler to airing cupboard (pump and cylinder both here) has a T which serves the expansion tank (22mm) and then leads to another T which has a 15mm feed pipe from the expansion tank. The pipework then feeds into the pump and then the 3 port valve immediately after pump serving hot water and central heating.
The hot water return has only one T into it from the central heating circuit.
Does this provide enough info or would you still need a drawing - please let me know?
Thanks

The traditional way to try to get rid of air locks is to put pump on max setting and turn off all but one rad. Then open the next one and close previous one and work all round the system like that.

Tony

Sponsored Links
the feed/return pipework is common to both pumps except for the final 4m or so.
I don't think a diagram is necessary now; the bit above confused me - and still does.

Do you have a magnet? Use it to check for blockages in the feed and vent pipes where they join the pipe from the boiler - magnet will be attracted to pipe if there is any blockage.

Are there any air vents at the top of the pipes which drop down to the ground floor? If air is trapped in the down pipes, bleeding the rads will not get rid of this air

Have you watched the water level in the feed and expansion tankwhen the boiler is turned on and off? (NB the pipe out of thee bottom is the "feed and expansion"; the pipe hanging over the tank is the "vent".)

Merging the two CH returns before the HW returnis correct; but the HW return should T into the CH return, not CH T into the HW; i.e the CH should have the straight run through.

Why do you need a second pump?

Thanks both.
Tony, I have tried your suggested method (among others) and unfortunately no luck.

D_Hailsham, yes I was aware of the magnet trick and did try it previously where I found some attraction around the feed T. I opened the closest joint and whist there was some residue the pipe was not blocked. To be on the safe side I double checked again today and it is clear.
There aren't any vents in the pipes dropping downstairs with reliance being on the upstairs rads to "catch" the air - probably not ideal!
There is some feed into the expansion tank (sometimes) when the heating or hot water are turned off and I did notice that air was being drawn in through the vent pipe.
I tried again today draining down and I was able initially to get hot water fed into the hot water cylinder although the return only became luke warm so there wasn't a proper flow. I managed to maintain this for a while when I turned the heating on but then lost the flow which hasn't returned.
I also tried the somewhat drastic (I think) method of stopping the pump suddenly via a screwdriver in the shaft to try to force and air locks through but again with no luck.
I have two pumps as the extension system has 10 rads so I was advised that rather than go for one large pump to serve both old and new systems it would be better to install a second unit which works independently from the original system.
I really don't know what else I can do so will have to try to find someone to come out tomorrow - I will post an update once I have a resolution!

I have two pumps as the extension system has 10 rads so I was advised that rather than go for one large pump to serve both old and new systems it would be better to install a second unit which works independently from the original system.
I can see that working if the old and new systems are never both on at the same time as you can balance each system independently. But if both systems can be on at the same time the balance will be way out, unless you install balancing valves on each system.

Ok - time for an update and a little bit more advice please.
I managed to speak to someone (excellent bloke - John) who was too busy to spend much time on my problem but as he was fairly local he agreed to take a look to try to get me in the right direction. He was pretty certain that there was a blockage in the boiler so I drained down and flushed through as best I could (I had previously done this but thought it worth another try). After that, I did get a flow through the boiler and managed to get hot water plus heat from some of the rads but the system is still not working properly. Anyhow, it does look like it was/is a blockage so at least I am happier that I know the cause of the problem. John recommended that if I could get the boiler working (Ravenheat) then fine keep it but that it was not really worth spending money on to repair. As it is border line anyway with regards to output to heat all original rads plus the extension ones, I have decided to change it out for a bigger model. John also inspected my pipework and pointed out a few issues with the original installation (not my work!!) where the pump return meets the rad return (T could be better aligned so that the two returns do not "meet head on"). He also advised that I could better utilise the 28mm return that the original engineer (1st post at the top of this chain) got me to modify.
So, I would be grateful for some advice on the following:
1.Boiler Manufacturer
I am looking at either Ideal, Worcester or Vaillant. John recommended Ideal but these got a poor reliability review on a couple of review
sites that I checked out. I appreciate that reliability may be affected by the actual model of boiler (heat only) that I choose but should I
stay away from any of these 3 manufacturers
2.Pipe Return Reconfiguration
I have attached a diagram showing the existing and proposed return pipe configs - anyone see any issues with what I am proposing
3.There is currently no by-pass valve on the system. I believe that as I have a mid-position valve one is not required - is that definitely
correct

Return Setup.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back