Loss Of Supply - (PIC)

Called out to customer who had lost all power. They had called the DNO out, who confirmed all ok on their side.

I turn up, follow tails from cutout, oddly not going to the adjacent consumer unit. They vanished up with the boxed in soil pipe. Went upstairs, found a 45amp isolator.

Yep, it had been turned off. No idea why it was there. Odd location for it, and really no need.

It's gone now!

1432798985.jpg
This may have been the location of a pre-payment meter in the past.

DS

Sponsored Links
Wasn't expecting three pages to such a bromodic photo. Forgot I had posted it. I'm now in the sun in Turkey :)

It's in a house that has been owned for years. Not sure who had turned it off, a typical case of "not me", and there's only an elderly couple living there!

Wasn't expecting three pages to such a bromodic photo. Forgot I had posted it. I'm now in the sun in Turkey :)
That was quick - good stuff this air travel :)
It's in a house that has been owned for years. Not sure who had turned it off, a typical case of "not me", and there's only an elderly couple living there!
Assuming that they are both 'of sound mind', it seems pretty unlikely that one of them would suddenly decide to deliberately operate a switch (of unknown function) that they had not touched for many years. Accidental operation would seem more likely - is it in a location where it could be fairly easily 'knocked off'? (as has been said, it looks as if it is at the top of some cupboard).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That was quick - good stuff this air travel :)
Assuming that they are both 'of sound mind', it seems pretty unlikely that one of them would suddenly decide to deliberately operate a switch (of unknown function) that they had not touched for many years. Accidental operation would seem more likely - is it in a location where it could be fairly easily 'knocked off'? (as has been said, it looks as if it is at the top of some cupboard).

Kind Regards, John

It was on a boxed in section on the corner of the landing, right under a boxed in section under the ceiling. Prob 1.8m from the floor.

- is it in a location where it could be fairly easily 'knocked off'? (as has been said, it looks as if it is at the top of some cupboard).
It was on a boxed in section on the corner of the landing, right under a boxed in section under the ceiling. Prob 1.8m from the floor.
When you say "boxed in", are you actually referring to a cupboard, with a openable door, rather than something which could only be opened (easily or with difficulty!) 'with the use of a tool'?

Kind Regards, John

Plasterboard boxing in around soil pipe, plasterboard, skim, wallpaper. No cupboard, nothing like that.

Plasterboard boxing in around soil pipe, plasterboard, skim, wallpaper. No cupboard, nothing like that.
Are you saying that the switch which magically got turned off was only accessible by removing wallpaper, plasterboard and plaster?

Kind Regards, John

NO.

it was on the landing, below some boxing in, fixed to the front of more boxing in.

It couldn't be accidentally knocked. A phantom or fibber switched it.

Should of taken a wider shot.

NO. it was on the landing, below some boxing in, fixed to the front of more boxing in.
Thanks for clarifying - I was merely trying to interpret:
:)
It couldn't be accidentally knocked. A phantom or fibber switched it.
It sounds like it - but, as BAS pointed out in stronger language, that (or, at least, the failure to connect the operation of the switch {after many years of presumably not touching it} with the loss of power) would seem very odd!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back