lost keys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My employers have lost a set of keys to the back door and seem to think its my fault!!! Ihave managed to find one of the keys to a lock but am still missing a key for one of the locks,a chubb one. Is it going to be hard and more importantly expensive to get it opened from the inside? Will it involve damage to the frame work?

Sponsored Links
A lock smith will be able to drill a single hole thru the lock and release it , very little damage.

Sponsored Links
Not always true,

I had a locksmith who tried for nearly an hour to pick a lock, before giving up and drilling through.

First thing he said after looking at the lock from the inside was 'yeah, there's no way i would have been able to pick that'

Apparently my flat at the time had really secure locks!

That's how cowboy locksmiths make their money, they 'try' for an hour to get your door open then drill it anyway because they didn't know how to pick it in the first place. An experienced locksmith should be able to open any door in a few minutes.

Well he seemed to know what he was doing,

to be honest, it cost me £50 including a new yale-style barrel and fitting (local firm).

Initially i called one of the big ads in the yellow pages - you know the 24/7 0800, within 30 minutes style.

They quoted £130 and called back 10 minutes later saying no one was available.

I'm in the wrong job.
Replacement cylinders are £1.75 so £ 48.25 for 'nearly' an hours work don't sound too bad to me.

is a chub lock just a normal key? or a high security one?

you could try making a "bump key" for it and bumping it open.. ?

( try "bump lock" on you tube.. it's scary how easy it is.. )

Locksmiths can pick many locks but not all and certainly not if the lock is faulty.Sometimes force is the only answer.

you can't generally bump a Chubb lock

Most people mean a Lever or a Detainer action lock when they say a Chubb. These cannot be bumped.

There are also cylinder locks with the AVA system that can't be bumped

But they do also offer a few less expensive cylinder types that could be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back