lost main beam on right hand side of peugeot 406

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
side lights work high beam works just bought new bulb still the same checked fuse no. 9 its ok????????????? help

Sponsored Links
Put a voltmeter across the bulb and you should have battery voltage (12volts) when the bulb is switched on?

If not earth the black lead off the engine if it goes to 12volts then you have a bad earth.

If not you have no power going to the bulb

Have you checked the earth return to the car body?
thanks wotan nice of you to answer now for the really silly question where is the earth return to the car body to be found?

Sponsored Links
Put a voltmeter across the bulb and you should have battery voltage (12volts) when the bulb is switched on?

If not earth the black lead off the engine if it goes to 12volts then you have a bad earth.

If not you have no power going to the bulb
thanks also for replying mursal i'll get me mate with volt meter to check so if no 12 volts at bulb then jam a wire( does it matter which side i pop it in (madam :rolleyes: ) in the plug and other end on engine?if it suddenly makes 12 volts at bulb means bad earth .... so what do i do then excuse my total incompetence and how and where are they normally earthed is it from the multi plug ?

You'll notice that the bulb connector, that you pull off, has 3 connections.
One will provide 12v on main beam, one will provide 12v on dipped beam, and the other will provide nothing because it is directly connected to the cars bodywork. This is called the earth return.
So, out with the multimeter to see what you've got! Usually on Peugeots, there is an earth connection close to the headlamp, direct to the body.
Also, check the 3 way connection for melting, as some of the wiring is minimal in this area.
John :)

You'll notice that the bulb connector, that you pull off, has 3 connections.
One will provide 12v on main beam, one will provide 12v on dipped beam, and the other will provide nothing because it is directly connected to the cars bodywork. This is called the earth return.
So, out with the multimeter to see what you've got! Usually on Peugeots, there is an earth connection close to the headlamp, direct to the body.
Also, check the 3 way connection for melting, as some of the wiring is minimal in this area.
errrrrrrrrrr thanks burnerman but plug only has 2 wires and always has had on both sides you said it has 3 and one is the earth then saidthere is an earth connection near to the light?????????? and not being an electrician i dont have a multimeter but know a man that has is it possible just to jam a wire down the slots the bulb sits in and pop the other end on engine with the bulb in place and this will light the bulb if bad earth is problem?

Ok mate, does that mean then, that the dip beam and main beam bulbs are separate?
In this case. one of your terminals should still see 12v, and the other one is the earth when that bulb is supposed to be on.
Sorry if I misled you!

That must be the halogen H7 then.....
Haven't come across these in a Pug.
hey no worries john yeah its the shock horror 19.99 in halfords (are they taking the **** or what!!) bulb so am i right in thinkin i can jam a wire down the earth side and connect to engine and see if it lights it?

Ok mate, does that mean then, that the dip beam and main beam bulbs are separate?
In this case. one of your terminals should still see 12v, and the other one is the earth when that bulb is supposed to be on.
Sorry if I misled you!
yeah all seperate john so still got side lights and high beam

So long as you identify the earth side then no probs......you'll blow the fuse if its the live you earth out!

That must be the halogen H7 then.....
Haven't come across these in a Pug.
hey no worries john yeah its the shock horror 19.99 in halfords (are they taking the p**s or what!!) bulb so am i right in thinkin i can jam a wire down the earth side and connect to engine and see if it lights it?

You can get them much cheaper on line. I think you can get them cheaper in Halfords too if you buy their own brand.

Sponsored Links
Back