peugeot 406 air bag light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys...air bag light on my peugeot 406 keeps flashing and doesnt go off,...read somewhere on the internet to check and tighten connections under front seats,,,,,,,done that , and light is not flashing anymore, but the "air bag" sign stays lit...any help and advice on how to cure this....is this dangerous as the air bag could be activated whilst driving ?....thanks

Sponsored Links
Take it to a garage asap. dont drive it elsewhere, just the garage. You do not want the airbag going and having to pay for a replacement. A repair (whatever it takes) will be cheaper than a new airbag.

cheers mate...it seems the solution is to cut the wires and solder them instead of using the plugs....

Sponsored Links
Very old thread but its the right heading for my car!

Does anyone know the PURPOSE of the connectors under the front seats in relation to the air bag?

And what triggers the air bag deployment on the 406?

Tony

The under seat connectors connect to the seat belt pretensioners which yank the belt tight in the event of a crash. If you are going to work on them, disconnect the battery or at least make sure the ignition is off.
There is an inertia / impact sensor on the car that triggers the air bags, but they will only deploy when the interior cab is at risk. It's amazing how much damage a car can sustain without deploying the air bags.
John :)

There are airbags in the side of the seat on the 406 and the seatbelt controller is located in the central consul between front seats.

Before doing ANY work on the seatbelts disconnect the battery, wait AT LEAST quarter hour and then disconnect the seatbelt controller connector.

Maybe on a later 406 Allan but none on my "P" reg 406.

Where is the central impact sensor John?

Tony

I cant say for sure, but the usual position for these is under the centre console, just forward of the gear lever......an encapsulated aluminium block, with many electrical connections.
If the airbag light is constantly on, it could be the connection between the steering column and steering wheel.
John :)

The airbag light flashes for about 10 min and then stays on permanently.

It used to flash occasionally about 2-3 years ago but until recently stayed off.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back