Lots of Render cracks house/subsidence? Possible Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Really hope you do not mind me posting and that I am in the correct section.

Need some knowledgeable advice from anyone kind enough to offer...

We have today viewed a property we are considering buying. However, it has a lot of cracks all over the render - the back wall and the left wall of the house (front door and attached to garage)

**PICS BELOW**

Having no experience with any sort of building with cracks/subsidence - we are not sure what we may be dealing with here to be honest. Partner is a carpenter, no experience with structural work.

It's a house we love and in the right area, we are considering getting a full structural survey done before placing an offer so that we may get quotes for the work and offer accordingly. If I could get someone with experience to give me a general idea what is potentially wrong first (before spending £100's on survey) then we could assess whether it was too much work for us or not.

Things to mention - whole back of house downstairs appear to be sloping towards garden - gap beneath skirting at end of house has a approx. 50mm gap below. However upstairs floors level.

Both bedrooms in gable ends have damp/black mould on window frames/cills/reveals.

Also as a side note - the chalet appears have built in (concrete?) guttering? Anyone come across this before - potential problems with having this type?

Thanks very much! Melanie

Sponsored Links
A potential minefield this one.....the render would have to come off as it's completely blown, but a 50mm subsidence requires professional investigation.
It the rear of the house damp at that floor area?
Concrete gutters aren't too uncommon.
John :)

Hi John. Many thanks for your super fast reply.

No signs of damp internally at ground floor - rear of house. Only pic I have is the one below showing gap under skirting.... They've tried to pack it out with bits of wood.

I don't want to be naive and underestimate the work needing to be done, at the same time I would want to lose out on a great house if the work was potentially superficial. However as you say such a gap at the rear of the house is a massive worry.

Melanie

Sponsored Links
There are a good few possibilities regarding that floor, Melanie......assuming its a suspended timber floor, there could be issues with the sleeper walls (they are build on the foundations, and the floor joists rest on them), the joists themselves could be rotten due to lack of DPC - the list goes on.
Hopefully the house doesn't need underpinning but for sure, I'd need to inspect below the floorboards!
I hope I don't sound like a bringer of woe, but it's best to find out sooner rather than later.
Check out that dormer condition too, and consider any flat roofs to be ruined.

Thank you very much John. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated!
I think we need to discuss now what our next step should be. Potentially a full structural survey. Offers expected on open day next Saturday.... This may be a busy week.

Thanks again! :D

I hope you get the news you want at the end of the day.......I spy a radiant electric heater in the bathroom too, so that could indicate elderly wiring.
Be lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back