Loud banging pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently finished a bonus room over a garage that we built. To heat the new room we simply tapped onto the closest room and added 20+ feet of baseboard heating to the existing system. Since that time we have been experiencing loud bangs in the piping throughout the upstairs zone (we only have two zones) and the sounds of rushing water. We have the aerator tank that is supposed to take air out of the pipes (in fact we destroyed one making the change and had to replace the old one) so I'm not sure why the banging still occurs unless we need to make some other adjustments because of the increased piping in the upstairs zone. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are 3 reasons that I can think of that this might occur, 1. Air in the pipes 2. Pipes have been laid (return and feed), touching and the when the pump fires up they can bang, 3. when the pipes heat up and cool down they expand and contract, they may be moving against each other or something near to them causing a bang. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back