Loud scraping noise from front wheel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im guessing a caliper proble. Anyway, going to jack up car and nose round. Can j still drive it around?

Sponsored Links
Check it out first, especially the inner pad and disc surface which is more difficult to see.....Ive just sorted a Freelander where half of the pad back had worn away :eek:
John :)

Nope, cant see any problems there. Ive spun both front wheels and appear ok.. No noise from the calipers

Sponsored Links
When the noise occurs, just gently touch the brake pedal.....does the noise stop?
There's always a chance the noise is from the back, of course!

Great minds think alike lol... Just got back from a spin upto 60 then touched the breaks and noise didn't change.. Will jack up rear afer a cup of coffee... Phew

Sorry, I should have mentioned this before.....when you have the wheels off, just check to see that the disc is clearing the backplate and not rubbing.

Well, i took the front left wheel off this time.
Discs are shot with deep lip., plus whoever worked on the brakes, fitted a new pad on the outside, but left the inner one with about half mm of material. I didn't bother checking the other side.
Spun the rear wheels which were fine., but will get taken off and looked at.
Everything else checks out as far as i can tell. Checked for play on track rods, bearings etc, tyre wear is fine too.
I am naturally suspicious usually and check everything too. Oh well, Haynes manual job for the weekend, and bus to work in the meantime.
The guy who sold me the cars said it had a full service., new oil was overful so drained some off but otherwise everything looked fine

Last edited:
Amazing how things turn out, isn't it.....o_O
The need for new discs and pads doesn't surprise me.....I fit loads, and usually the discs are shot but the pads reasonable.
Anyway.....new discs isn't an issue, but remove the securing screw as soon as you can when the wheel can be locked. If the disc is really rusted on, panic you not.....don't bray on the disc with a hammer too much, you don't want to bend the hub or nack the bearing. Most come away easily enough ( Fords put up a fight!)
If they are stuck, a slot cut with an angle grinder sorts them :LOL:
With the disc off, clean the hub perfectly before applying some clean Coppaslip or whatever.
Do check the caliper can slide nicely as you put the thing back together.
If your car has rear discs, the pads need to come out every year for a clean and lube.
Be lucky!

Sponsored Links
Back