Low ceiling below airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at reconfiguring our kitchen space and taking a few walls down to make it a more useable space and I'm looking for some advice.

We have an airing cupboard upstairs with a hot water tank in and pipes for the heating. Directly below in the kitchen is some kind of storage cupboard. Ideally I'd like to knock this out in the kitchen as it never gets used to open it up. The ceiling inside is quite low though, is there a reason for that? Is it to help disperse heat from the tank above? If so, would it be okay to knock this cupboard through and raise the ceiling height so it's level with the kitchen? Pic attached of the cupboard

Attachments

• PXL_20221117_180732110.jpg
    PXL_20221117_180732110.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
That was my first thought. A set of stairs with a turn on to a half-landing before going up to the next floor.

Sponsored Links
Drill a hole and have a look would be a good starting point to figure out whats going on - must be a reason someone would lose half the height of that space

is it your property on the other side off the wall and what's in the room immediately above that low ceiling??

I'd think about taking a section, (or even the full), ceiling down and seeing what is above. I presume you can't lift a floor board in the airing cupboard because of the hot water cylinder in there? By taking the ceiling down you will expose everything to see and, if your plans are not feasible, then it's a relatively simple matter of putting a new piece of plasterboard back up to replace the ceiling. As it's a cupboard you could always paint the ceiling with this 'Polytex(?)' paint that would allow you to stipple it.

My parents have a similar cupboard in the hallway of their bungalow - I was in the loft and found a huge void which I figured out was above the cupboard. If you think about it, it's quite hard to make much of that space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back